Monday, June 21, 2010

A 'majestic' day

I know I promised to cook something for you all last week, but to completely honest, my relationship with my kitchen has cooled a bit. I think it has to do with summer -- I've been distracted by road trips, fishing trips and the most recent farm trip. My poor little studio is in a total state of disarray because of my neglect, but I've put myself on lockdown. No longer can I ignore the piles of laundry that trip me each time I walk into the bathroom.

FINALLY!!! we had lovely weather this weekend, which made for a great Father's Day and work day on the farm.

The farm and all its glory.
You can see garlic in front and potatoes in the far field.

Farm version of Abbey Road.

My asparagus lives!

My fabulous day was made even sweeter when I discovered the garlic scapes. This short-lived treat is one of my favorite things about summer. The scape is the flowering shoot on the garlic plant, and if you cut it before it flowers you are left with a culinary delicacy similar to morel mushrooms or ramps (wild onions). You won't find scapes in grocery stores, but you can find them at your local farmer's market. If I were you, I would hustle down to pick up a bunch because you will love them! They taste like garlicky green beans.




Snipping scapes.


Who gets this excited over produce?

Besides harvesting scapes, Lester was used to his full potential, we planted lots of delicious root vegetables in between the garlic since they will be harvested in about a month -- red and golden beets, radishes, kohlrabi, parsnips, turnips, as well as planted a blackberry bush. We will have a medley of fun things in the coming months!


If only Julia could have joined us --
the trifecta would have been complete.

Someone asked for a bottle opener and
the judge returned with this.
He's resourceful.

Lunch: pulled pork, coleslaw and salt and vinegar chips.

Prettiest farm dogs I've seen.

Fun with scapes.

To cook scapes: cut off flowery tip.

Slice into bite-sized pieces.
Heat a pan with about a tbs of olive oil over
medium high heat. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Add a few splashes of water to steam them a bit.
Saute until tender -- 5 - 8 minutes and
season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately and devour!

Father's Day feast.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.
Our next date involves fishing.
Love you xoH

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Hailey! thi is Alex, the french chef u've met this weekend at the riverfest!
Your blog is very nice, I like it a lot!
your garden seems gorgeous! I want a garden in my house in Vegas, I'd like if u could give some advices!!
Bye