Monday, September 13, 2010

Challenge #1: cook, photograph, eat, repeat

Ready, set, blog! What defines me as a blogger? More specifically, what defines me as a food blogger? What sets me apart, and do I have what it takes to be the food blog star?

Allow me to take you on a photo journey to explain.

The seed that was Hail's Kitchen sprouted its head in the fall of 2008. This little grain had been germinating in my head for years, but a number of events in my personal life had to transpire before the bud could really flower. I sold my car. I used that money to buy a camera. I began taking photos with said camera. Photos like this:

and this gem:

Thus began my unyielding appreciation and quest for natural light.

Hail's Kitchen took a hiatus when I moved to the country where I contemplated selling my kidney to afford an internet connection. I decided in favor of the kidney.

I moved back to my home state of Idaho in the fall of 2009, and Hail's Kitchen was resurrected. Closer to my family, closer to the mountains and rivers I missed, but farther away from the food I loved, I learned to make my favorite dishes I craved so desperately from the big city. Can't order take out? Make your own:


My culinary repertoire has extended to include many of the ethnic favorites I left behind in Salt Lake City. However, I might give a kidney for a steaming bowl of pho right now.

Hail's Kitchen revolves around food. Cook, photograph, eat, repeat. That's the mantra. I am not a professionally trained chef, nor am I photographer with lots of fancy equipment and lighting tools. I am just a girl who enjoys sharing her meals via the world wide web with family and friends.

I am also a girl who is not afraid to admit and embrace her failures, usually failures of epic proportion. Mochi at home? Bad idea. Horrific, in fact. Or the foiled tortilla espanola that ended up looking more like scrambled eggs than Spanish tapas:

While food dominates the theme of Hail's Kitchen, my life creeps into most posts by default.

Work days on the farm:

Family vacations:

Field trips to local playgrounds:

And often, moments that take my breath away:

Hail’s Kitchen is a place for folks looking for a little mealtime inspiration. Hail’s Kitchen is often a place for folks looking for a good laugh. Hail’s Kitchen is always a place for folks looking for honest, approachable food that anyone can prepare. If I can successfully bake a six-layer, almond-flavored rainbow cake, you most certainly can too:

My kitchen is my respite. Feeding those I love sustains my soul. Hail’s Kitchen is my vehicle to feed those I love, near and far, with my photos and words. Borrowing one of my father's (AKA the Judge) favorite expressions, I hope this site leaves you “fat and happy.”

Cheers.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hailey, I forgot about the cake! I am drooling over the keyboard, that was such a phenomenal piece of art!
I love you. I love your blog. I love even more, that you are my teacher of culinary things.
<3 Jess

Freckleking's said...

Just in case you need someone to taste these creations you could drop some by the English office, or better yet my office.

Cristina {Teenie Cakes} said...

Beautiful blog and enjoyed your post. Your photography is gorgeous. Good luck on FB's Project Food Blog contest! :)

Chef Dennis Littley said...

incredible job with your images!! You cerrtainly have made some great progress, I lok forward to reading your posts!

Jeannie said...

Hailey, you are an amazing, wonderful woman and a great blogger, not to mention a fabulous cook! Loved recounting your journey. Many more to come. Keep cookin'! Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Nice trout!!! Is that a Brownie?

The Cilantropist said...

Lovely post, thanks for adding me on Foodbuzz! Good luck with this competition! :)

Whitney said...

Yay Hailey! Loves it! you're photography is spot on, and I have a plan. Kelley and I will come to your house in idaho in matching outfits and we can drink wine until our lips are stained red. The end! :) Can't wait to see what classic you choose!

Chefwanabe said...

NIce post, we all have some snafus with recipes and pictures. But it's fun to see them after a while. Best of luck with the challenges.

The Cork Chipper said...

I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU AT LISA AND HAIGEN'S WEDDING! and you are totally right - this is a food and photography blog. Its just that my love of food had overshadowed the fact that the photography is amazing too. Silly me for not recognizing. Get job on making us all drool with your photos of your great creations!

Lindsay said...

Great Post! I just gave you a vote! You can check out my post here: http://tinyurl.com/2ec2hlq Thanks and Good luck!!

Kelly @ Barbaric Gulp! said...

Great post! You have my vote.

Good luck in the contest!

Kelly
Sounding My Barbaric Gulp!
http://www.barbaricgulp.com

Phoebe said...

Great post!
Good luck with the rest of the contest!
check out my post at http://studioofgoodliving.com/2010/09/project-food-blog-defining-myself-as-a-food-blogger

lynn @ the actors diet said...

big applause for that rainbow cake! good luck in project food blog!

Artistta said...

Lovely photos and nice post. Good luck in PFB. Sending a vote your way!

niki said...

Good luck! Great post!