Thursday, November 12, 2009

A hankering

There are a few foods in this world that I physically crave. I know there are folks out there who can relate to what I'm talking about. I get cravings that permeate my entire being -- mind, body and soul. I will obsess about that specific food item until I get it, or as of late, since I'm in a town devoid of any noteworthy ethnic restaurants (Allow me to amend this statement: there is an Indian/Nepalese restaurant and a Greek restaurant that I have to yet to adequately explore. Coming from a city that had more ethnic restaurants than I can count, my taste buds feel a little foresaken here), I attempt to make said item myself.

These irrational cravings have lead to a number of disasters over the years. I've swapped baking powder and soda too many times to count, which always leads to really horrendous scones. I overcooked a REALLY expensive cut of beef in attempt to remake a certain celebrity chef's beef wellington. That one hurt. I have destroyed perfectly good raw fish while attempting to morph it into sushi. I even once tried to make a tie-died birthday cake for a loved one, which took HOURS, and it ended up looking like a rainbow threw up in my cake pan and then swirled it. I won't post the picture for fear that it will burn your corneas.

Another noteworthy failure of even further epic proportions was my attempt at homemade mochi. I discovered mochi, which is a Japanese dessert that's made of gluttonous rice flour, at a sushi restaurant in SLC that I can't even type the name of because it evokes a lump in the back of my throat. How I miss you. Sniff, sniff. Anyway, I tried to make my own. HA!!! Rice flour may be the stickiest product on this green Earth, less a few other items. Specifically one that rhymes with squat.

I was covered in ooey, gooey, violet-dyed rice flour, as were my dogs and my kitchen. It was horrendous. Have you ever seen a siberian husky attempt to lick something off of themself? To say they are OCD would be a grave understatement. I am fairly certain both of their tongues were raw after attempting to remove the gluttonous goo from their bodies. Sorry for not having pictures. No mochi was produced; just a hell of a lot of mess and a very defeated Hailey.

My point is this: I am willing to do whatever it takes when one of these mad cravings come on. Fortunately for everyone involved in the latest craving -- me, Heather, the kitchen, the dog and your corneas, dear readers -- no one was harmed in the making of the following dish.

I hanker for Asian noodles. Yes, I just used the word hanker as a verb. That's how much I love Asian noodles . . . I hanker for them. You will too after you try these. Use whatever veggies you like or hanker for :)


Fresh Asian noodles
adapted from Donna Hay
1 package bean thread noodles
1 carrot, finely sliced
1 cucumber, finely sliced
3-4 green onions, finely sliced
1-2 cups cabbage, finely sliced
1 cup cilantro
1/2 cup peanuts
sauce:
2 tbs sweet chili sauce
2 tbs fish sauce
juice of 1 lime

Cook noodles according to package. Combine sauce ingredients, stir well. Assemble noodle salads with desired vegetables. Pour sauce over and serve.

*You could also serve this with chicken, tofu, shrimp. Mix up the vegetables you use -- bean sprouts, mint, red pepper.

4 comments:

emrit24 said...

The blog is back! Thanks for reviving it after a short hiatus. I don't know if I will ever cook like you but I love your passion and respect for food!

hailskitchen said...

Thank you! Such a nice comment to start my morning off with :-) I'm glad to be back!

jessikahsd said...

Ha ha ha - my husky is the same way! I swear they are somehow part cat. I love mochi too - the only store I have ever seen it at is Trader Joe's (which I know does not help either of us at all). Can't wait to try this yummy noodle recipe!

hailskitchen said...

Someday SLC will get a Trader Joe's and then we will all sing happy songs :-) I wonder what will become of Two Buck Chuck in Utah?