Friday, November 6, 2009

Last Friday as a free-loader

Today, Friday, marks my last day as a free-loading house elf who does nothing but cook, clean (sort of) and go to school. Starting Monday, I'll rejoin the responsible world of those who work. BOO! I've really enjoyed my lazy mornings drinking a pot of coffee and doing my homework at my own volition. Things will start to get a bit more complicated next week, but it's time, and to be honest, I'm ready.

I have secured a pretty kick-ass AmeriCorps position with a local government agency, and in a nutshell I'll be a health educator for old people. Kind of a departure from my future career in secondary education, but the skills translate. I hope anyway.

I really wanted to take advantage of this last Friday of freedom. How did I start my morning out, you ask? Well, dear readers, I snuggled in bed with Berkley drinking coffee and watching Dancing with the Stars on my computer until about 9:30 and then I got up and made the following oh-so-delicious hummus recipe. Next on my list, once I finish this post, is to take Berkley and her boyfriend Benny on a run. We are watching Benny while his Dad is in Moab for the weekend. Benny had a bit of gastrointestinal blowout yesterday, and the poor guy's pride hasn't recovered. Hopefully a jaunt through the sagebrush will help restore his confidence.

Berkley and Benny sitting a tree.
K I S S I N G

Then I get to arm wrestle with financial aid. I am straddling two schools -- my education classes are undergraduate and obviously my master's classes are graduate. Well, this unorthodox behavior of mine is giving both the financial aid and the registrar's offices aneurysms. Apparently, no one has ever, in ISU's history, attempted to gain their teaching credentials while completing a master's degree. I am going where no student has gone before, and it SUCKS!!! I just want to go to school and secure a little financial help while I'm at it. Is that too much to ask? In the eyes of ISU, yes.

That, ladies and gents, will wrap up my day because I'm quite certain after the encounter with financial aid I will be defeated and want want to crawl back in bed with Berkley. Instead of coffee in hand there will be another choice beverage, and it most definitely won't be an upper.

Sorry for the diatribe! On to the hummus!

This is a fantastic, quick and oh sooo yummy homemade hummus. I have tried a couple of unsuccessful hummus recipes that have ended up tasting and looking like play dough. This does not. This hummus is lemony and garlicky and wonderful. I had to restrain myself from licking the food process bowl. You could play with flavors too -- sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, hot chile flakes. Homemade hummus sounds daunting, but it is incredibly simple. Try it at your next soiree -- you'll totally wow your friends!

Only the finest for this house elf.
Usually tahini is in the organic/healthy
section of your grocer. It's a little pricy,
but it will stay good in your fridge
for a muy long time.

Hummus
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/3 cup tahini, mixed well
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp salt
pinch cinnamon
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon olive oil
Italian parsley for garnish

In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest until smooth. Gradually incorporate the olive oil. Add a few drops of water if necessary to make the hummus more creamy. Before service, drizzle with olive oil and chopped parsley.

No comments: