Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A truffled protest

I think the weather is playing a cruel trick on me. By moving out of the mountains I mistakenly thought I would enjoy a lingering Indian summer, a crisp fall and a gradual slip into winter. Wrong. Wrong. Wrongo. When I heard it was snowing in Park City a few days ago, I thought, ha ha suckers! Then, as if to say, not so fast Hailey, Mother Nature dropped the temperature thirty degrees and it snowed here . . . in the valley . . . in October.

So what did Heather and I do to protest this El Nino weather pattern? We bought a bottle of champagne, turned the hot tub up to 106 and made tomato soup with TRUFFLED grilled cheese sandwiches. How do you like them apples, Mother Nature?

A note about my obsession with all things truffle: I get all quivery just thinking about what I should type. I am contemplating running upstairs right now just to open the bottle to SMELL it. If there ever was a food that could induce naughty, sexy things, it most certainly is a truffle in any of its fine forms. Since I am an unemployed student, truffle oil is the next best thing. You should get yourself a bottle. Then write me an email and try to explain how enigmatically good it is.



Roasted tomato soup with truffled cheese sandwiches
soup:
4-5 tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, roughly chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, more if you want it soupier
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt/pepper
olive oil
fresh basil
parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomatoes, onions and garlic on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 45 minutes.

Let cookie sheet cool enough to handle and careful scoop veggies into a blender. Whizz up until smooth. Add the broth. Pour soup into a sauce pan and simmer over medium heat. Add herbs and any additional salt and pepper.

Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
*You can add red pepper to the roasted veggies to add more flavor. Red pepper flakes are a nice addition, too*

cheese sandwiches:
crusty bread
your favorite cheese - we found brie on sale!
caramelized onions
apples, sliced
truffle oil

Heat a pan over medium heat. Butter the outside of bread slices. Layer cheese, apples, onions (I added some leftover basil, too) and drizzle with truffle oil. Press onto the pan with a spatula. Flip. Carefully remove and ENJOY.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Please, please come live with me.

hailskitchen said...

I love you! I am sure your almost-husband would love having the two of us in one house :-)

Unknown said...

Hailey, I love this blog. You are so cool!

Kristen Burke

hailskitchen said...

I'm SO HAPPY you like it :-) I am having fun!

Lizzette said...

Oh lady!!! How I also LOVE the truffle oil, I could bath it! Miss your guts, come visit and we'll cook up a feast!

JayBob said...

I am extremely excited that you are blogging again! Doing well. Hope you are too!

jessikahsd said...

The pictures looked so so good that I had to try this recipe. Regretfully, the truffle oil was a little too rich for my blood ($20 at the Whole Foods in Sugarhouse for a bottle the size of my toenail - what gives?), but the meal was delicious just the same! Thanks for the recipe!

hailskitchen said...

Jessica - I am so sorry your truffle experience wasn't entirely ethereal! Tony Caputos has the best deal in town for truffle oil. Unfortunately, it's still the size of your toenail :) just a little less expensive! You know what I was dreaming about recently - the almond champagne we devoured. That was so delicious!!!

jessikahsd said...

That is so funny - I smuggled a bottle of that delicious almond champagne back from CA with me the last time I was there and I thought of you too! I am going to drink it this Friday when I turn the big 2-9. :) I'll be thinking of you!

hailskitchen said...

Jessica -happy early birthday!!! I hope you have a great day :) Take a big swig of that glorious champagne for me! xo