Thursday, October 1, 2009

Resurrection

I apologize in advance for those of you who may be offended by the forthcoming religious reference, but it is too perfect! Hail’s Kitchen was dead, Hail’s Kitchen has risen, and Hail’s Kitchen most certainly has come again. After nearly a year hiatus, I’m back! The site took a break, in large part, because I moved to Coalville, UT. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Coalville, my neighbors had a flock of sheep in their backyard, kids ride horses in the middle of the streets and it’s very possible to pick up your milk, eggs and shot gun shells at the town’s grocery store. I would have had to sell my car to afford an internet connection.

Needless to say, I’ve made a significant life change and decided to return to school. When I grow up, I’ll be a high school English teacher. That is, if I get accepted to the programs. For those religious people who I offended earlier, please pray for me to get into graduate school. Thank you! Now that I am a student, I need internet, and that leaves me no excuse but to resurrect Hail’s Kitchen. Since I’m currently unemployed, only have two classes and have a sister who really appreciates and enjoys my cooking, I’ll have lots of fun recipes coming your way!

My move back to Idaho brought me closer to my family, which is fabulous, but it has also brought me back to a passion that I’ve had to put on hold due to lack of space and damn cold temperatures - GARDENING! My parents have a plot of land in Twin Falls that I plan to hobart from their control this spring. I am already scheming plans for the next season. My sister had a small, square foot garden in her backyard this summer. She doubts her green thumb skills, but as you can see, she’s got it!


Now that we’ve lost our grip on summer, the next few posts will be an ode to bare shoulders, warm breezes and picking tomatoes off the vine. Feels good to be back.

Here's a super easy recipe for your waning summer veggies.





Roasted summer vegetables with baked polenta
*Please note, I am terrible at measuring. In fact, I don't. I will for your sake, dear readers, make an effort to squelch my laziness.

1 package pre-made polenta
1 cup bread crumbs
4-5 tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
6 mushroom caps, quartered,
2 zucchini or summer squash or both, sliced
*add any veggies you have on hand or enjoy*
handful basil leaves, sliced
parmesan cheese
olive oil
s/p

I served the veggies with sauteed chicken breasts that I sliced and marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, italian seasoning blend and s/p.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Placed sliced veggies on a cookie sheet and drizzle with 1- 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast veggies about 20 minutes or until they are tender and beginning to turn brown. Stir occasionally. Watch out for steam when you open the oven door!

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Slice the polenta into half inch disks. Be sure to use a very sharp knife or the polenta will crumble. Dredge the slices in the bread crumbs and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with pam. Bake the slices for twenty minutes or until they are crispy. Flip half way through. Or, if you're impatient like me, you can broil them, BUT be very careful. They'll burn and laugh at you as soon as you turn your back.

Serve the polenta with the roasted veggies on top (chicken if you wish). Garnish with basil and parmesan cheese.


1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hailey! This is so exciting!!