Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chili time of year

I suppose I should quit bitching about the weather. I really do love winter and all things related to snow. I am anxious to slip my hands into the pocket of my ski pants in hopes of finding some cash; I am excited to explore Pebble Creek, the local ski resort (and return to my Utah favorites, too); and I am jonesing to start cooking hearty, stick-to-your ribs dishes – like chili!

Chili is one of those fabulous, manipulateable (yes, I just made that up) dishes that you can throw in whatever you have on hand: beans, spices and vegetables. I grew up with my mom’s decadent chili that included chocolate, so naturally, mine does too. It adds a richness that is subtle and fantastic. The Red Iguana in SLC is the master of this genre. Their moles are rich with chocolate, peanut butter, chiles, spices and herbs. I could shed a tear thinking about what I would give for one of their enchiladas right now. Loud sigh.

Anyway, I would encourage you not to shy away from the chocolate in this recipe. You will hardly notice it’s there, but without it, this chili is just chili. With chocolate, this chili is competition-worthy-chili. Blue ribbon, kick ass, lick your bowl clean chili. Just saying.




1 pound ground meat -- I used ground turkey
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced -- I had a green pepper as well so I used both
2 jalapenos, more if you like it spicier
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
4 15 oz cans of beans, I used black, garbanzo, kidney and pinto, drained and rinsed
1 28 oz can of diced or crushed tomatoes, juices too
1 15 oz can of corn
1 15 oz can chicken broth (or veggie if that's how you roll)
2 tbs olive or canola oil
5 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs oregano
2 heaping tbs chocolate chips, I used semisweet
salt to taste
garnishes: cheese, sour cream, green onions, red onions, tortilla chips

In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, garlic and jalapenos. Saute until translucent. Add meat if you are using it. Cook through. Add spices and stir thoroughly. Pour in tomatoes, beans, corn and broth. Finally, stir in chocolate. The longer this chili cooks the tastier it will be. I let it cook for over three hours, stirring occasionally, and it was divine. You could also let this simmer away in a crock pot.

2 comments:

Casey Marie said...

Hey Girl! Great recipe! Can't wait to try it this week. Hope you are doing great in ID! I hope you don't mind, but I shared this recipe with our readers on TasteofParkCity.com. Check it out here. http://www.tasteofparkcity.com/2009/10/winter-chili-recipe-hails-kitchen

jessikahsd said...

Hey lady - I made this last night (let it stew in the CrockPot for 5 hours) and it was fantastic - lots of yummy leftovers too! Thanks so much for sharing!