Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day two - Eat on $30

Eat on $30 day 3 begins! All told, the hard part is over. With the shopping and planning behind me all I have to do now is cook, and that's the fun part. I will be honest in saying, I really miss my cup of coffee. I think more than the caffeine, it's the routine I miss. My coffee intake could use some curbing so perhaps this is beneficial.

I realized that I didn't eat very much yesterday. It wasn't the challenge that caused me to go hungry, I was just busy. I had a cup of green tea and an apple for breakfast. The apples rang up at $1.29/lb and the tea was $2.99 for a box of 16 tea bags. I am going to agree with my challenge cohorts that calculating every penny is a bit of a drag. Jimmy Buffet's song, "I hate math" comes to mind each time I have to pull out my calculator to figure out the portions. It's a good thing I will not be teaching math. I think you all can get the gist of what we spent and how much we are saving.

None-the-less, the leftover pasta was warm and cozy for lunch because our house seems to turn into an icebox in the afternoon. I threw pork chops (by one get one free, at $3.39) seasoned with salt and pepper into the crock pot with two cans of sauerkraut at $1.09 each, and half of a sliced apple. This cooked for over five hours on low heat. I have the recipe for pork and sauerkraut in more detail here . I smashed up four large potatoes with 1/2 cup of milk ($1.50 for half gallon), couple pads of butter (this was one of our freebie items), and salt and pepper.

This is an inexpensive and satisfying dish that makes for great leftovers. There was plenty leftover for both of our lunches today, and it always tastes better the next day.

I apologize for the afterthought photo.
Starvation doesn't lead to good photography.

5 comments:

Jen Yu said...

Nicely done. Your hunger afterthought photo still looks terrific! All of my math and planning were gotten out of the way up front. I even LIKE math and it got to be a pain in the arse (or maybe the comparison shopping was the pain - yes...) My husband commiserates with you on the coffee. He is starting to look a little sad on day 3. Keep up the great job :)

hailskitchen said...

Jen, thanks for your feedback! Photography gives me anxiety. I wish the sun didn't set so early these days! Tell Jeremy he is a good sport :) By Sunday I might be really grouchy!

dad said...

Wasn't it Frank Zappa who said:

Hey there brother, don't you jive me with your cosmic debris!

No coffee? Green tea?! My poor starving daughter can't take home the elk steak I offerred.

Noble project? - Probably.

Fun - NO!!

Peace & love -

DAD

hailskitchen said...

Dad - you are wonderful! We have lots of elk waiting patiently in the freezer to be consumed. I assure you, I'll make elk stew :) I'm not starving. I am, though, really, really, REALLY missing my coffee. Maybe this was the intervention I needed. Thanks for your comment. xoxo

maybelle's mom said...

good job. i totally agree you about the planning--once finished the whole week seems a lot easier. And as to the caffeine, it is a good way to break the habit. At least, that is what I keep telling myself.