Sunday, October 26, 2008

Fake chicken, how I love thee

Here is a classic Hailey moment: I come home from work ravenous and all I want to do is order Chinese food. Specifically, fake chicken from Shanghai Cafe. Sadly for me, they are located in SLC. I haven't found a Park City comparison, YET. I stand defeated in my kitchen, depressed that I no longer have the convenience and deliciousness of my favorite eatery, pondering what else I can find before I eat my left hand. This is what I conjured on Friday night: broccoli, garlic, Campbell's cream of celery (I would have used cream of chicken if I had it), instant brown rice, cup of water, lemon pepper, a few shreds of parmesan cheese to make it less ghetto. Seriously, such a lame second to fake chicken, but it was filling, cheap and FAST. You could add meat, swap out the broccoli for another veggie, try curry powder instead of lemon pepper, use noodles instead of rice. Use your imagination! If anyone knows of a Park City remedy to my fake chicken fetish, please let me know!




Depressed because I can't order fake chicken broccoli and rice
1 can Campbell's soup (cream of chicken, celery, mushroom)
1 cup water
1 cup instant brown rice
2 heads broccoli, chopped into bite-sized chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs lemon pepper
parmesan cheese

In a large pan with a lid, saute garlic and broccoli over medium heat. Add the soup. Use the soup can and fill it with water, scraping down the sides. Pour into pan. Add rice and lemon pepper. Turn heat to low and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer 15 minutes or until rice is cooked. Top with cheese. Dream of fake chicken.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Shanghai Cafe is the best! I don't usually like vegetarian type stuff.....but the Fake-Chicken Fried rice there is surprisingly good. Chinese options in PC are pretty limited (with none at Shanghai Cafe $$)

Casey Marie said...

I <3 Shanghai!

Steamed spring rolls, fried tofu wontons, lemon grass fake-chicken triangles.

I need to make some of your recipes, they sounds marvelous!

Anonymous said...

You need to post something about Thanksgiving!!! I don't know what to bring for dinner with the in-laws... crap.

Heather and Nick said...

POST SOMETHING!!! Bad ass buffalo chips??

Gannon said...

This food looks AMAZING!!! I will have to try some of these recipes in the near future. Hope all is well for you Hailey!

jessikahsd said...

Ok, so I found some fake chicken that is pretty good and available at the grocery store. (I wouldn't go so far as to say it is as good as Shanghai, but pretty good nonetheless.) They're these chicken strips from Morningstar Farms that you can find in the freezer section at the grocery store and you can mix them in to basically any recipe. Definitely give it a try!