Sunday, October 26, 2008

Meat, good. Cheese, good.

As of late, my social calendar has been filled with friends, which means opportunities for me to cook meals that are impossible for a single person to consume.  Jay, you can either invite your entire department over for this dinner or just cut in half :-)

I get no greater pleasure than cooking for people who I love, or in the case of these enchiladas, friends I barely knew.  None-the-less, it is so gratifying to enjoy a glass of wine and good company over a meal that I cooked.  It may be narcissistic, but if you have never fed people, I dare you to try it.  It is addictive.  You will want to feed your neighbors, your friends, your boss, your siblings, your congressman.  These enchiladas are a perfect for that opportunity!



Chicken green chile and goat cheese enchiladas
5-6 chicken breast, skin removed
1 package small corn tortillas
2 cans diced green chiles
2 can green chile sauce
1 package mexican cheese blend
1 4 oz tub goat cheese
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
2 tsps oregano
sriracha or hot sauce of your choice (add as much spice as you want)
handful cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream, more for garnish
salsa to garnish
s/p

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large pot, place chicken breasts and fill with water--just enough to cover the breasts.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer long enough for the chicken to be cooked through, about 20 minutes.  Cut/shred into chunks.

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high  heat.  Add onions and garlic.  Saute until translucent.  Add chiles and spices.  You may need to add some water (if I have a beer handy, I will usually use it instead) if the sauce looks to dry.  Add the diced chicken and minced cilantro Season with salt and pepper.  

In a large casserole dish, pour enough green chile sauce to cover the bottom.  Layer with tortillas.  Evenly spread half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.  Sprinkle with goat cheese and shredded cheese.  Cover with green chile sauce.  Add another layer of tortillas, the remaining chicken and more cheese.  Top with tortillas, more sauce and more cheese.  Bake 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.  Serve with sour cream and salsa.

2 comments:

JayBob said...

Sounds good! I look forward to making it! Looks amazing.

JayBob said...

Okay, I made these last night. They are amazing! I think I put in too much cumin, but other than that, fantastic!! I have a ton of left over, but in this case I am happy about that!!!