Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hope you're hungry!

I had the realization that in order for this blog to proliferate, I need to actually post. How novel! So here we go:

There is something incredible about the evolution of summer to fall, beyond the yellowing of the leaves and the excitement of refreshing your wardrobe with clothes unworn for months, but if you are like me--the overwhelming desire to nest. I feel like a squirrel preparing for winter, stowing as many nuts in my cheeks as I can! All I want to do is be cozy, read, eat comfort foods. Unfortunately, being that I am unable to exercise right now, this behavior has been a bit detrimental to my waistline! Oh well, that's where those chunky sweaters come in handy.




Summer Squash and Corn Chowder
*you can add whatever veggies you like, or make it vegetarian, but bacon makes everything taste better*

6 slices bacon, cut into chunks
1 leek, sliced
3 small potatoes, diced
2 crookneck squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 cups frozen corn
3 cups chicken broth (more if you like it soupier)
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
Salt and Pepper

In a large stockpot, cook bacon over medium-high heat. Once crispy, remove the bacon and drain the grease. Add the leeks and thyme and saute until wilted. Add the remaining veggies. Saute until they get some color. Turn the heat up and pour in the broth. Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat down to medium-low. I thicken the soup by blending about two cups in a blender or food processor. Pulse the removed soup for a few seconds until you can no longer identify the veggies and CAREFULLY pour back into the pot. It will be hot! The longer you simmer the soup the richer the flavors will be. About ten minutes before service, pour in the half and half, add the bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste. Be sure you have crusty bread to dip. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Emily said...

This sounds so good! I'm going to try it.