Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lazy man's lasagna

Let's get this out in the open: I loathe Rachel Ray. I can't stand her.  Her voice, her annoying abbreviations--EVOO--it's olive oil, Rachel! ugh--the mania of her show.  She makes me anxious and makes my blood pressure rise.  I will, however, give her credit for a FEW of her shortcuts.  Like the recipe you will see below.  It is easy, fast and delicious.  I would probably feel weird enjoying anything wholly created by her, but I tweaked this recipe enough that I feel comfortable eating it.  Enjoy!


Rachel Ray's, I mean, Hailey's shortcut lasagna
2 8 oz packages ravioli, any kind you like
1 package mild or spicy sausage, casing removed
1 yellow onion,  diced
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 can artichoke hearts, quartered
4-5 large mushroom caps, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs olive oil
1 cup italian blend cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbs butter
1 tbs flour
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half and half
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat a pan to medium/high heat.  Break sausage up in pan; cook until done and drain fat.  Reserve sausage on the side. Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook ravioli briefly--about two-three minutes or until tender.  In the same pan the sausage was cooked, add the olive oil, onions and garlic.  Cook until translucent.  Add the mushrooms, artichoke hearts and spinach.  Saute until the liquid evaporates.  Add the sausage.  Season with salt and pepper. Layer the ravioli with the the sausage/veg. mixture, as well as cheese, alternating until the pan is filled.  Meanwhile, with the same pan as the sausage and vegetables, create a rue with the butter and flour.  Melt the butter and stir in the flour.  Allow to cook for about one minute, being careful not to burn.  Gradually add the chicken broth, whisking to prevent clumps.  Once this is thick add the half and half and cook reduce until sauce has thickened.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour over the ravioli mixture.  Top with more cheese and cover with foil.  Bake 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.  


2 comments:

JayBob said...

There was a time when I thought Rachel Ray was cool. That time was loooong ago now. I hate her too!

threegirls said...

I am going to make this tonight, it looks delicious. I still like Rachel, but continue to tweek her recipes since I like you a whole lot more XXXX