Saturday, October 4, 2008

On the mend

For those who don't know, I had surgery last week to close an 11 mm hole (just shy of half an inch) in my heart.  I am starting to regain my energy and the nausea from the blood thinners is dissipating.  I feel so loved and appreciate all of the well wishes I received from my friends and family.  Thank you, thank you to my awesome parents and sister Heather for being such good care takers.  Love you!  Because of the nausea, I didn't have any desire to eat, or cook for that matter, but I have a renewed sense of taste this morning and plan to cook up a storm this weekend so look for lots of new recipes in the next few days!  Below is a recipe for the easiest homemade curry I have found. Buen provecho!

    Two of my favorite ladies: Liz and Maxine.

           Beautiful flowers from my sweet baby sister.


Potato Curry with Peas and Carrots
3 smallish potatoes, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 large tomatoes, diced (or one can crushed/diced tomatoes)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs curry 
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder (more if you like it spicier)
sour cream or plain yogurt and cilantro to garnish

Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add diced potatoes and cook until just tender.  Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat. Once translucent, add the spices.  Stir well to incorporate and cook for about a minute to let the spices come to life.  Add the potatoes, frozen veggies, tomatoes and paste.  Simmer for about ten minutes or until the juices have reduced making a thicker consistency.  Serve over rice and garnish with sour cream/yogurt and cilantro.


2 comments:

JayBob said...

Nice! I am excited to try the recipe, could you use yellow curry? Also, I have been meaning to start a blog, and here it is!

http://cheesybikenerd.blogspot.com

Jay

Heather and Nick said...

I am waiting for an update!! I want to see the corn chowdayw!