Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Time for my big girl panties

Hello. Hi. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Hailey, and I am a procrastinator. I am an avoider. I am a slacker. It's been several days since I've posted, and I am feeling a teensy bit guilty about my absence. The vacancy has not been due to lack of fun things to post. Not the case at all. My absence has mainly been due to the fact that I forgot what it was like to juggle, well, my life. My job has resumed its full-time schedule, my classes are in full swing, and I can no longer linger lazily as I did all summer -- all glorious summer.

Put on your big girl panties, Hailey, and quit your bitching.

Bitching aside, I did teach my first yoga class last night. It. Was. So. Fun. I nearly peed my pants on my drive to the studio I was filled with so much trepidation and nerves, but once the class began and people closed their eyes and started breathing I settled into my new role -- teacher instead of student -- and attempted to give them the sort of class I have been craving since I moved home to Idaho. I hope they enjoyed it. I certainly did.

The following recipe is one that I have wanted to post here at Hail's Kitchen since the site's inception. It's a recipe a dear friend taught me in college: chicken cordon blue. This recipe has evolved over the years, but it remains a show-stopper. It is deceiving; it is incredibly easy to prepare but looks like it took hours and extraordinary effort. Plus, it is tasty, tasty. As with all chicken dishes, the trick is cooking the chicken thoroughly but not overdoing it.

I didn't have any toothpicks to hold the rolls together, but I did have angel hair pasta. The pasta was a little fragile, but it worked brilliantly in keeping the party intact. Plus! You didn't have to be concerned with spearing yourself with a jagged toothpick. My ingenuity still shocks me!

I had help in making this dish, which was such a treat, as you get a bit messy. My camera quakes in fear when I approach with gooey fingers so I was thrilled to have assistance in making these rolls. Cooking and eating is so much more pleasurable with company.

Our beer selection for the evening was stellar.
Thanks Colemans!

Any breadcrumb will do, but panko is extra crunchy.
Crunchy is good.

Place the chicken breasts in a sealed ziploc bag to pound -- saves messy cleanup.

Familiar breading: 1/2 cup flour with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 egg (scrambled), and 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs with 2 tbs parmesan cheese and 1 tbs fresh parsley combined well.

So sad the sun sets so early now. Anyway, chicken breast pounded flat with a slice of ham and swiss cheese.

Tuck in the edges and roll up tightly.


Secure with a few toothpicks or PASTA!

Dredge first in the flour (shaking off any excess)
and then in the egg.

Then in the breadcrumb mixture.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.

You'll never eat the frozen, Costco variety again. Promise.

1 comment:

bug said...

I made this tonight. Very delicious! Thank you for the recipe.