Thursday, September 9, 2010

Salad rolls: more like rolls, less like turds!

As if my plate has not completely runneth over as it is, I am now a kitchen elf at the new Thai restaurant in town. I was hired as a server, but my ears perked up when I heard they needed help in the kitchen. What you say, learn Thai cuisine and get paid for it? Sign me up!

You can also sign me up for a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication. Remember that clone I mentioned a few weeks ago, yeah, I am serious. Anyone want to be my personal assistant? The pay is, well, no pay. Sorry. Good company though!

Salad rolls have always been one of my favorite appetizers to make. However, my rolls always turned out looking less like rolls and more like turds. Until now! I have learned some helpful hints to rolling these oh so delicious and healthful treats, which you'll see below.

These salad rolls are the first thing I have cooked in my kitchen since I made chicken cordon blue last week. Things have been a bit slow here in terms of cooking. I am indebted to my new employer, as they feed me dinner every night. If not for them, I would be living on string cheese and coffee. How I do love caffeine and portable cheese.

Rice wrappers. You can usually find these in the Asian section of most grocery stores.

I have always made the mistake of soaking these too long. They only need a quick, complete dip in a bowl of hot water. That's all!

Vermicelli noodles.

Adapt your salad rolls to your favorite veggies; I used salad greens, bean sprouts, shredded carrots, thinly sliced carrots, cucumbers and green onions, and cilantro.

Here's the best trick I learned! Use TWO sheets, layered on top of one another. Helps enormously!!!

Layer lettuce, bean sprouts, carrots, cucumber, pepper, onion and cilantro.

Finally, a bit of noodles.

Then the tricky part! Roll carefully yet TIGHTLY, tucking in the edges as you roll. I kept getting scolded for "not rolling tight enough" by my darling little Asian instructor. I still don't have this down pat. In fact, I am afraid to serve these to paying customers. I needed the practice at home.

Not bad.

I usually make my own peanut sauce, but do you think I had time to make my own peanut sauce? Hell no. Store bought was excellent. I'll email you my peanut sauce recipe if you would like it. It is tasty.

3 comments:

Chefwanabe said...

Awwww, that looks so pretty, I love those rolls. have a nice weekend.

Kathryn said...

Those rolls look awesome - and the two shhets of rice paper will make the whole process less frustrating. I would love your peanut sauce recipe. My email is kathryn064@yahoo.com

Heidi said...

I get these at a Vietnamese restaurant across the street from my work in downtown Seattle. I LOVE them! I always knew they looked simple to make but your photos really spell that out! I can do this! I would like to try it with some shrimp in them. Thanks for the good photos and the inspiration!

Heidi