Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Please Zicam, don't steal my taste buds

I have sneezed at least 337 times today. Allergies? I hope so. Common cold? Perhaps. I hope not. I had a presentation today, which I sneezed my way through so I thought it was necessary to take measures beyond just politely excusing myself and sneezing uproariously into the nook of my arm. I picked up some Zicam.

I was reminded after downing a few that Zicam, along with reducing cold symptoms, steals people's taste buds. Great. That's just what I need. A food blogger who can't taste her food.

After my workday wrapped, I hustled myself home as quickly as I could to whip up the following recipe: peanut butter pasta. Flavor, flavor, flavor. I had to be sure I didn't have an ensuing lawsuit again Zicam. Nope, even through my stuffy, runny nose this dressing SHINED.
My mom often made this pasta when I was kid, and it makes the yummiest leftovers. I made mine without any chicken, but it is delicious with shredded chicken. Shrimp would be fabulous, too. I tried to no avail to find my peanut dipping sauce recipe -- this is close. I will keep searching, as that recipe is golden.

I am off to the Thai restaurant where I hope to not sneeze all over the appetizer line. Excuse me. Sniffle. Sniffle.

P.S. VOTING opens Monday!!! I'll be posting thorough instructions on how you can complete the crucial process. Don't you fear.

These just happened to be in my pantry -- regular ol' noodles work just fine.

I do love their packaging though.

No need to stir!


Creamy.

And delicious.

Peanut butter pasta
Adapted from my mom's recipe - I'd be damned if I could find hers
1/2 english cucumber, sliced thinly
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1 red or orange pepper, sliced thinly
3-4 green onions, sliced thinly
1 large handful cilantro, chopped
1 package noodles -- Asian or otherwise

Dressing:
6 tbs peanut butter
3 tbs chicken or vegetable broth, heated
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs seasoned rice vinegar
1.5 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 thumb-sized knob of ginger, minced

Cook noodles according to package. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Don't be nervous at the amount of liquid -- it looks like an enormous amount, but it mixes in. You could also buzz this up in your food processor if you feel like washing dishes. In a large bowl, combine the drained noodles, the sliced veggies and the dressing. Toss well. Garnish with more cilantro and serve either warm or cold.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Mmmm, love a good peanut sauce. Hope you get over the sniffles soon!

Lisa said...

I make a similar sauce, but trade out the peanut butter for tahini and add stone ground mustard. Seriously YUM.

Unknown said...

The version of zicam that was causing all the tasting problems was the version with zinc in it. If yours is zinc-free you're fine.