Friday, August 27, 2010

Feeling a little crabby

I hope you aren't sick of my show and tell coast photos. I think these are the last set that will grace the page. After these you'll be stuck with photos of my plain ol' boring kitchen since my traveling days are over. Wait! Until I go to the most Epic Love Event of All Time in Ireland (I wish I had a scanner to show you their amazing invitation) -- the marriage of my friends Lisa and Haigen. I'll most certainly have show and tell photos for you then.

Heather has been talking for months -- MONTHS -- about going fishing. It was a priority request that we had to fulfill, and I am so glad we did, as we managed to coerce the entire family to go. Grandma Joyce was more than a little hesitant; Julia initially refused her seasick patch; my mom claimed to not have enough warm clothes. But, impressively, we corralled all of our characters successfully on the boat dressed in our warmest, rain-proof gear, seasick patches ready to ward off any queziness, and we were ready to catch some fish.

Don't they look thrilled to catch fish?

Being in Ducks and Beaver country we were all pretty jazzed to see these on our boat:


Boise State! The countdown is on.

Nonetheless, we fished our tails off and caught over 40 fish between the seven of us. It was a cloudy and foggy (no surprise) day, which made it quite eery being on the water.

After our time rock-fishing, we picked up our crab pots. My crabbing experience comes from the Deadliest Catch -- this was a tad bit scaled down. We still hooked the pots, pulled them in, flung the ladies back in the water. The only differences were the giant waves, ice, and oh, fear of death and impalement.


Heather skillfully hooking a pot.


Nick and the judge taking one for the team.


The loot.


Jules makes for a pretty cute deckhand.


Not dinner.


Dinner.

We made a point to eat at home each night -- crab, oysters, tuna, rockfish, fresh clam pasta. It was a seafood smorgasbord! But we also made a point to visit local spots for lunch. One such place, which I cannot remember the name, was especially fantastic and had the best coleslaw I've ever had. I've been dreaming of this coleslaw since, and you know me and cravings. And, well, I've been hungry for crab, too. Crab and oysters -- two things that are not going to happen anytime soon. But . . . I found cheese . . . with crab it in!


Because I'm lazy and strapped for time.


I added my own purple cabbage.


The cheese! This stuff is soooo good. Try not to eat it with a spoon.


I found some jalapeno cheddar bread -- need I say more?


My heart and my belly were happy last night.

Asian Coleslaw
inspired by the cute restaurant in Newport, OR with the blue tablecloths and napkins
1 bag coleslaw
1/2 head purple cabbage, shredded
3 tbs cilantro, chopped
dressing:
1 tbs shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, crushed
5 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs poppy seeds

Mix the dressing together and toss with the cabbage and cilantro.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. I love crab. I don't really eat seafood but when I did, I loved crab. When I saw the starfish my mind went right to Patrick on SpongeBob.