Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sustenance quickly

Summer vacation is sadly coming to an end very soon. This break has most certainly been my favorite aspect of being a graduate student; this is coupled by the fact that I have the greatest boss on the planet who allows me to keep a flexible schedule as I long as my ducks are in a row.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am lucky to have a friend who works on the South Fork of the Snake River, and he graciously takes me out in his drift boat from time to time. Lucky really isn't the appropriate word. The South Fork is a world class trout fishery where folks pay thousands to have a guide take them out and point them towards the fish. I get to go for a twelve pack of beer. Charmed seems more fitting. Yes, I've had a charmed summer.

We were greeted by this lady on the most recent float.

Tuli was very interested.

The lodge at sunset. Not a bad view.

Tonight I had great plans to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Sounds relatively simple, I know. This isn't your ordinary grilled cheese -- grilled halloumi cheese and red pepper sandwich -- thank you very much. I couldn't be bothered busting out the food processor, and I've spent most of my afternoon and evening baking a cake for a certain brother-in-law who graduates from the PA program tomorrow. HOORAY!!! I'll talk more about the surprise cake after its unveiling.

Nonetheless, I was hungry and needed some sustenance quickly before I devoured the cake batter. You'll recognize these ingredients from the bruschetta a few posts back. Easy peasy dinner. You can have this prepped, table set and ready to go by the time your pasta is cooked. Plus, when it's hot out, no one wants to spend time over a hot stove.

I am off to bed to ignore a chest cold that has decided to move in. What the hell? Who gets sick in August? I have too much fun to have to be sick before school starts. This heaviness needs to skedaddle. Buenas noches, amigos.

My window basil is thriving surprisingly.

To make the pasta: cook your favorite pasta shape according to the directions, quarter a handful of tomatoes, chop some basil, mince a clove of garlic if that fancies you, drain the pasta, toss with the tomatoes and basil (and garlic if using), 3 tbs tasty olive oil, 1.5 tbs balsamic vinegar, a good grind of black pepper, and a handful of parmesan cheese. Fifteen minute dinner. Beat that Rachel Ray.

So fresh.

And so tasty.

1 comment:

JayBob said...

Your blog rocks Hailey! We need to do a cheese post! =)