Thursday, August 26, 2010

"Shuck me, suck me, eat me raw."

Before I placed my first cup of coffee to my lips I was bitching in my head about my lack of time. Then I realized we are all strapped for spare moments in the day, and we could all really use a Multiplicity-esque clone. The semester is in full swing, my reading is growing, and my anxiety is multiplying daily. That's why these pictures are so much sweeter this morning, and how I will look back on this summer as the best summer ever.

We visited an oyster farm while in Newport that boasted a fantastic slogan. Why I didn't purchase this shirt I don't know. Perhaps the judge gave me the stink eye.

We were all giddy to eat raw oysters when the girl at the counter lectured us about how the waters were too warm, and we could all get very sick if we didn't properly cook the lovely little oysters that were ready to slip down all of our throats. We followed instructions and grilled our oysters over a charcoal grill (which alone was fun!). No one wants to get food poisoning in a circular beach house with seven people and ONE BATHROOM.

This was my first experience cooking oysters, and I was pretty thrilled. However, the judge is clearly wearing his emotions. Why he doesn't smile like this in family pictures beats me. He must like oysters more than he likes us.




Coming from a landlocked state where oysters are not as prolific as say . . . potatoes, we made a few mistakes. The gal told us to place them on the grill and that the shells would pop open. Well, a few shells did pop easily. Others had to be helped.

Or pried as you can see the trifecta here attempting to wedge the poor suckers open. We decided that next time we cook oysters (as if this is going to happen next Thursday) we would shuck them first and then place them on the grill.

We added a little dill butter and voila! Such a treat. Maybe next time the waters will be cold enough to eat them raw, but cooked over the charcoal with the ocean in view . . . memorable is fitting.

Along side our grilled oysters I grilled red potatoes. My family looked at me with suspicion when I suggested this as a side dish, but everyone loved them.

These are a fun change to roasted potatoes. The grill marks look fancy, and they are super easy to throw together.

Plus, we have a surplus of these babies in Idaho. Unlike oysters. Tear. Sniffle.

Grilled potatoes
5-6 large red or yukon gold potatoes, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat grill -- gas or charcoal -- first. Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Carefully add the potatoes to the water. Cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. You want them to hold their shape and not be mushy when you put them on the grill. Drain and place in a bowl with the garlic and olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Carefully place on the grill. You could also use a grill pan. They tend to slip through the grate so use caution when flipping! Grill for a few minutes on each side. Remove when both sides have color. Serve hot. These potatoes would be wonderful with chopped fresh herbs or grated parmesan cheese. They are also fantastic as is. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Going camping this weekend, and can't wait to try your potato recipe. I also wish I could have enjoyed some oysters with you! I hope your semester goes well. Candice