Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me!

I did not die a premature death due to a sugar coma last night. I did wake up with this realization: I BAKED A SIX LAYER CAKE!!! I more than expected to find that it had collapsed, fallen to one side, color oozing all over my fridge. Not the case -- the cake was intact and looks relatively like the original.

Not exactly like Whisk Kid's, but it'll do.

I am sitting here now in my jammies wondering what to do with my day. I have been struck with a tragedy of gargantuan proportions -- I am out of coffee and on my birthday. Tear, sniffle. Coffee fairy, if you're listening, please bring me some grounds. Excellent. Thanks.

I suppose I should get dressed and go to work. Really, I would like to eat rainbow cake in bed and watch Glee. It's my birthday, right. Coffee fairy . . .

For those of you who can't join me for cake tonight, here are the photos. You can join me on the messy, color-rific, almond-flavored, blood-sugar spiking baking frenzy. xoH

This cake took over my kitchen.

Color is fun.

I don't have a fancy sifter -- this guy works swell.


Sifted.

Not shy in the butter department with this cake.

Cream the butter and sugar.

Bad photo of egg whites.
LOTS of egg whites were used, too.

Egg whites added to the sugar and butter.

Vanilla extract.

Alternating, add the sifted dry ingredients
and warmed milk.

Milk.

You're left with the yummiest cake batter on the planet,
and what looks like a little rump.

Separate batter into six bowls.

Add the gel food coloring -- a little goes a long way!


Parchment paper-lined baking pans.


Bake for 15 minutes.

Cool cakes in the fridge.

Layer the cakes with buttercream.
I couldn't be bothered taking photos
of the buttercream process, too.

A bit wonky.

A hot mess.

Better after another layer of buttercream
and a night in the fridge.
The white frosting is deceiving.

Behold the colors of the rainbow!


Recipe from Whisk Kid. Check her out -- she's a marvel.

2 comments:

jessikahsd said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you got your coffee and are having a fabulous day. This cake looks awesome - wish I could be there to celebrate with you!

Nan and Aaron said...

You are so amazing! I really want you to come visit and just cook with me for a week. SHow me how it's done. It would be soooo fun! Happy Birthday sweetheart!