Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just another manic Monday

I have a strange confession: I enjoy Mondays.  Usually I return to the city on Monday mornings, always late and rushing like my hair's on fire.  This has been the routine all summer.  Now instead of heading to my job, I head straight to BALLET.

I still am one of the worst in the class.  Not THE worst but damn close.  If a good ballet dancer was one who stomped around awkwardly and waved her arms like she was shooing flies, then I would be the best ballet dancer on the planet.

My hour and thirty minute drive gives me time to listen to NPR, drink coffee and mentally prepare myself for being a bull in a china shop.  It also gives me time to dream about what I'll cook with my one night in the kitchen.

Yesterday I wanted something unfussy.  I wanted something we could enjoy on the patio.  I wanted something that did not require utensils.  I wanted grilled flank steak and veggies.

A brief diatribe: when I was in England in March we ate one of Jamie Oliver's restaurants called Fifteen.  This meal was without a doubt the most memorable dinner I have ever had.  In fact, I don't think I have posted pictures from that meal -- I will!  Nonetheless, they served the most wonderful green olives.  They were bright green, tender, not brined.  I felt bad because I devoured the entire bowl leaving my dinner mates to nibble on the seeds.  My mom let me know that they carry a close second at Fred Meyer and lucky for me, we have these divine little olives at my store, as well.  If you like olives you must try these. I think I enjoyed the appetizer last night more than the meal.

As summer wanes, make a meal like this one that requires very little prep time and clean up.  Call some friends, open a bottle of wine, and eat with your fingers.  Do it on a Monday, too.

Toasted bread with olive oil and sea salt, feta cheese and
green goodness.


Not the best shot, but you get the drift.  
I marinated the steak in something close to this.

Serve on a big plater and enjoy!
 
Dessert did require a spoon.  

No comments: