Friday, August 12, 2011

Moose doesn't give a sh*t

Hello Internet!  I am returning from two days off after working twelve days straight and eighteen shifts (please don't cry for me Argentina).  True to form, the blog has been a bit spotty this summer, but I have a photo montage of river livin' for you. 

We have had wild weather the past few weeks. Thunderstorms are to be expected this time of year, but we had two days of solid rain; it was delightful.  Between shifts, Tuli and I snuggled in with fleece blankets and read captivity narratives until we were both cross eyed.  Rain + captivity narratives = delicious naps.

Not a bad view from the porch.





My only cooking apparatus here on the river is a microwave.  As a result, I have been eating loads of string cheese, pop corn, luna bars and clementines.  I made a mad dash to Idaho Falls one afternoon to pick up supplies and put together this non-cook meal.  I love summer picnics.

Cherries, radishes, roasted chicken, cucumbers,
tomatoes, crusty bread, cheese, and CHUCK SHAW!

On one of my free mornings my friend Dana and her sweet girls joined me for a field trip to the lake where we frolicked in the water and stopped for a square ice cream cone.  I am not sure who had more fun, me or the girls.  Me. Without a doubt.

Dana appropriately named this: Little Girl, Big World.


Finally, Wednesday came.  TWO DAYS OFF!!! In a row!  We loaded the boat: beer, dog, fishing paraphernalia, sun screen, bug spray, camera, STEAKS.  The outfitters maintain a fully equipped camp on the river where clients rest and recharge after a day of fishing.  When I say rest and recharge, I mean arrive to find their gear set up in their wall tent with cots and sleeping bags and pillows and chef who cooks them steak and lobster. No one was using said camp on Wednesday night so we jumped on the occasion to pamper ourselves.  We didn't have a chef or lobster, but it was pretty close.


Rainbow of nymphs.



I sneezed at least 337 times.

This is called a Double Bunny; she's a streamer (imitation of a baby fish).
They call this kind of fishing throwing meat because ENORMOUS
fish come out of the depths to eat these little guys. 
It's like watching shark week live from a drift boat.
I am now addicted to streamer fishing. 

Canyon stretch of the South Fork of the Snake River.

Best two days off EVER.



Since we had no chef to cook us lobster, I stepped in so no one went hungry.



Coors Light is so versatile.



Cast iron, beer and fire makes for a delcious potato.

Onions.

Mushrooms and red peppers.

RIBEYES!


Food always tastes better when cooked and eaten outside.



Rainbow trout caesar salad. 
Fun to gather your ingredients from a fully stocked, professional kitchen!

The next morning we noticed something swimming down river.

A bull moose headed straight for a rapid.


Hang on buddy!

Can you imagine swimming with a rack like that and hooves?


We were concerned he wasn't going to make it to the side.

Nearly there.




He's gathering himself and thanking Jebus for solid ground.










 Moose doesn't give a sh*t. He does what he wants.

So does Hailey. Until tonight when she goes back to work.

No comments: