Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You say tomato, I say tomatillo

This summer has been bittersweet because, while I have been enjoying my time playing on and around the river, I have not been playing on the farm.  I look forward to the day when I once again have my own little plot of dirt to plant obscure veggies.  Until then, I enjoy the benefits of friends' CSA shares and the occasional score at the grocery store.

I stopped in Winco yesterday to avoid senselessly driving out of my way to another store.  Winco usually exhausts me.  I liken my trips to Winco to trips to Walmart.  I have seen one too many obese women proudly flaunting their too-tiny t-shirts and Eeyore sweat pants.  

However, yesterday I was delighted by the selection of produce and a little girl who insisted on showing me her lollipop that was as large as she was.  Her mother and I continued to bump into each other in the dairy aisle, produce corner and checkout lane.  This little person looked at me each time with her enormous doe eyes and pronounced, "Mira!"  I attempted to converse in my broken Spanish asking how old she was and telling her that she was "preciosa!"  I need to brush up on conversational Spanish just so I can chat with darling two year olds in the check out line.

In addition to my new friend, I found some beautiful tomatillos.  If you like salsa verde, you must try this recipe. It is so easy.  I added avocados to the mix and WOWIE!  If I may humbly say, this is the best salsa verde I have eaten.  

Take a field trip to your local Winco.  Brush up on your Spanish.  Befriend a toddler.  Make this salsa.

Lovely little lantern. 

Peel them open to reveal the tomato cousin.

1.5 lbs tomatillos, 1 large onion, four garlic cloves and two jalapenos (seeded)
drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
 
Roast for about 20 - 25 minutes in a 425 degree oven.



Blend with a large handful of cilantro and three avocados.
Also, juice of two limes, 3 chopped green onions, 
1/2 tsp salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
Add some cayenne for additional heat.

Sweet and salty and spectacular!


2 comments:

Nan and Aaron said...

Ok, I'm salivating and can't wait until I get a second to stop at my favorite little market for some tomatillos!

Tanae Nelson said...

Looks so yummy! I can almost taste it. Lets hope the farmers market has some this weekend.