Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I spy with my little eyes . . .

Yesterday was my first day of my last semester of graduate school -- woohoo!  I met with my thesis adviser who helped me map out a writing plan for my MA paper, I sat down with my graduate adviser and wrote out my petition to graduate, and I attended my first BALLET class.  Monday was a big day.

A note on the ballet class, I am about as graceful and elegant as an armadillo.  Imagine my fear and trepidation walking up to class when all the ballerinas were decked out in their pink tights and leotards, spread eagle in the hallway.  I nervously asked, "Is this Ballet 1?" They looked me up and down, fortunately wearing yoga pants and not jeans, and snickered.  

I sincerely expected the first class to be more or less a tutorial: my name is, wear this, bring water, explain the posses, this is the bar.  Negative ghost rider.  We jumped right in with all sorts of words and posses I couldn't pronounce less articulate with my awkward, gangly body.  I am headed today to buy ballet slippers and maybe some tights.  Not sure about the leotard.  I hope by investing in some ballet attire I will be guilted into going back on Wednesday.   

As you wait with bated breath for a report on Wednesday's class here are some photos of the latest river adventure. I spy with my little eyes:

Two bull moose. Can you see them?


They were close enough to throw a stone at, 
but fortunately they were more concerned with munching on grass than our humble presence.



 
 I wouldn't want him swimming in my direction.

Hasta luego, moose.

As with most things I cook, I begin dreaming about them mid-morning.  The following dish is no exception.  I started craving these flavors as I was preparing for my linguistics class.  Reading about phonetics and morphology really incites an appetite.

These meatballs were inspired by a Vietnamese sandwich called a bahn mi.  It is typically made with lemongrass and ginger marinated pork, carrots, cucumbers, cilantro and served on a baguette.  My ballet experience still fresh on the mind, I decided to swap the pork for ground turkey, the baguette for lettuce.  Go figure.  

The weather was scorchingly hot here so this fresh, light salad was perfect for a late meal.  These meatballs would be fabulous over rice or noodles or in a baguette.  Or munched on alone walking to ballet class.

Lemongrass.  Remove the woody outside and use only the tender core.


Grated ginger, garlic, chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, minced lemongrass,
chili paste, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce.

Brown on the stove first and finish in a 350 degree oven.

Served over lettuce with shredded carrots, bean sprouts, cilantro and pickles.

I made a quick Asian dressing with more garlic and ginger, chili paste, rice wine vinegar,
vegetable oil, and dab of mayo to hold it all together.


Asian meatballs
1 lb ground meat of your liking
1 inch piece ginger, minced or grated
4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
1 large handful cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, sliced
4 lemongrass spears, tough outside removed, minced
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs chili paste
1 egg
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine all the ingredients, less the meat, egg and breadcrumbs; stir well to combine.  Add the meat, egg and breadcrumbs.  Mix to incorporate and form little balls.  Brown in a lightly oiled skillet in batches then place on a cookie sheet.  Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until cooked through.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

jessikahsd said...

Hooray for your last semester of grad school - you'll be done before you know it! Your meatballs look amazing. :)