Tuesday, May 31, 2011

An amalgam of color and glory

Today is Tuesday, which means that we only have four more work days this week.  It also means that an oral health grant I've been working on is due today.  May 31 also means that there are only four more days until my birthday.  Four more days in my twenties.   I feel like I need to cram as much twenty-something, irresponsible behavior into the next few days -- drink to excess, stay up all night, engage in risky activities, run up a credit card, get a tattoo.  Tattoo, maybe.  Those other things sound exhausting.

Last year for my birthday I made myself a six layer rainbow cake in preparation for this magical monstrosity.  Can you imagine?  That cake would envelope my entire 451 square foot studio.  I don't have enough counter space let alone enough patience to attempt a cake of that scale.  

Maybe I'll make the cake version of the tattoo I've been dreaming about since I was fourteen.  It involves the movie A River Runs Through It, my bum and the letters L.O.V.E. 

Yes, I think that will be my birthday cake.  If you're confused, I promise an unveiling later this week.  It will be rad.  

Until the cake reveal, here is a recipe that taunts me almost daily.  I crave the following dish like I crave Asian noodles.  Friends, be forewarned, you will L.O.V.E. this concoction of rice, veggies and chili sauce.  It's called bibimbap, and it is a mainstay in Korea.  It's the perfect dish to clean out those neglected vegetables in your fridge.  Also, it can easily be made vegetarian or vegan!  Try it . . . but don't blame me when all you want for dinner is bibimbap.   

 Homemade pickles: sliced English cucumber with 1 tsp sugar, 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tsp garlic chili sauce (more on this condiment below).  Combine all ingredients well and chill for at least 30 minutes.  
Zucchini, carrots and bean sprouts.

 Tri tip marinated in this.
 Sauteed spinach, carrots and zucchini.
 Below this amalgam of color and glory is steamed rice.
Top with an over-easy egg and a dollop of chili sauce. Resist the temptation to lick the screen.

Bibimbap
This recipe will serve two with much desired leftovers.
steamed rice, I like basmati but any kind will do
1 - 2 smallish tri tip steaks, grilled to your desired doneness (pork and chicken would be delicious too)
2 eggs
2 carrots, julienned
1 zucchini, julienned
1 large handful mung bean sprouts
1 English cucumber, pickled as indicated above
1/2 package spinach
4 cloves garlic, minced
garlic chili paste -- Sambal Oelek (buy this! It has a green lid and rooster on the label. Love. Love. Love)
Sesame and canola oil
sesame seeds
salt and pepper

First, make the pickles and stick them in the fridge.  Don't forget them!  Cook rice according to the package.  Meanwhile, prep all the veggies and heat your grill, grill pan or saute pan.  In a large skillet or wok, heat about 1/2 tsp sesame oil and 1/2 tsp canola oil.  Add 1/4 of the garlic and saute until fragrant -- be careful not to burn!  Add the carrots, season with salt and pepper and sesame seeds.  Saute until just tender (about two - three minutes).  Remove the carrots from the pan and repeat the process with zucchini, then bean sprouts and finally the spinach.  Grill meat until you reach your desired doneness and set aside. Cook eggs very last.  

In a big bowl, add a healthy layer of rice.  Arrange the vegetables and meat on top.  Place an egg (I like over-easy, as it creates a fabulous sauce) on top, as well as the chili sauce.  Mix it all up with your fork or chopsticks and enjoy!

4 comments:

jessikahsd said...

This looks so delicious! I am definitely going to have to give it a try. I'm so glad to see that your blog is back - I missed reading about all of your food adventures!

Michael said...

This looks RAD! Ash and I gotta try this one...it works for both of us!

Lusks in LOVE said...

L.O.V.E. you Hai! Your food pics make my mouth water. You are such a babe for finishing that grant (fingers crossed). HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK LOVE!

Heather and Nick said...

Hot damn, i just had this for lunch yesterday!! It was served in a hot stone bowl and they cracked a raw egg over the top and then you stirred it in and it got cooked...looked just like yours!!