Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Christmas Letter 2019

Writing this post feels a bit like the Ghost of Christmas Past is standing beside me.What a strange, familiar feeling it is to visit the halls of Hail's Kitchen again! Alas, I've said it for years, and I'm holding myself to it, this blog (albeit archaic in design and function) will live again! I hope you'll join me in the new year as Hail's Kitchen gets a reboot. I hope to feed your bellies and your souls in 2020!

Enough about that . . .
HO HO HO from the Malepeai Family!
These glorious photos are from my sister Julia's wedding this May in Mexico.

Hello dear family and friends! I hope this digital letter finds you and yours happy and healthy as we close out 2019. It's hard to believe another year is behind us, as they seem to go faster and faster. Our girls are both at such fun ages -- I wish I could pause time! Our third child, Rosey, is mellowing as she ages, thankfully. Ian is looking forward to chasing chukar with her this winter. She has big shoes to grow into, as we all still miss our Tuli dog. 

Malia Grace turned SIX this November. Our big girl started full-day kindergarten in August. Watching her learn to read and write has been one of my biggest joys in parenting. Malia loves to sing and dance and moves through life with a lightness and brightness that draws strangers and friends to her. She played soccer this fall and clearly exhibits both of her parents' genetics. She had glimmers of Ian's athleticism -- scoring with ease and aggression one moment and then zoning out on the clouds, her hair, or her teammates the next (my excellent genetic contribution!). I'm curious which genetic propensity will win out. Malia has such an adventurous, brave, free spirit. She loves to put on frilly dresses and makeup as much as she loves to hunt for toads in the mud.  

Maya Hope has evolved into a kid this year, and I'm such a slurry of emotions. Three is right around the corner (December 30), and it feels like she'll be getting her driver's license next week. Again, the pausing time thing! Maya's sense of humor and inquisitive nature keeps all of us on our toes. For the better part of the fall she called me Lady or Lady Mom, which was equal parts adorable and condescending. She'd assertively yell, "Hey Lady, get me (insert the demand of the moment)." Despite being a tiny dictator, Maya oozes love and kindness. Both our girls exhibit incredible amounts of empathy, but Maya is particularly sensitive to those around her and shares her loves and hugs when she can sense someone needs it. Maya cannot wait to get on skis this winter, and I'm certain she'll be chasing her sister down the hill in no time. I've found the perfect ski partners -- equal parts skiing and hot chocolate breaks!

The Great Samoan Hunter (further echos of Hail's Kitchen's past) continues to balance his job at the Idaho Dept. of Fish and Game with his newest title: Mountain West Football Official. Ian landed a position with a wonderful crew as Center Judge. He traveled hither, tither, and yon this fall with his new band of brothers. It's always fun when family and friends send screenshots of him on ESPN. He had a great season and it will be exciting to see what the future holds for him. The composition of Ian's little free time has evolved a bit, but he has two tiny fishing buddies who enjoy reeling in fish as much as he does. His outings now involve a few more snacks, more contingency plans, and also, a lot more fun. He's raising two outdoor-loving, river and mountain girls! 

As for me, 2019 marked a year of personal and professional stretching. After four incredible years with Expedition Inspiration, I joined another amazing nonprofit out of Washington DC called the American Immunization Registry Association as their new Business Operation Manager. The change has been very bittersweet, as I am so incredibly proud of the work I did with EI. I made wonderful friends, traveled to some breathtaking places (the Summit of the Grand Teton in July -- the personal stretching!), and I'll forever be impacted by the mission and work. This new opportunity allows me to work from home, and I'll be learning all sorts of new tricks (audits, and annual reports, and contracts, oh my!), but I'm really looking forward to the challenge.

2019 brought us many blessings.We bought a new home, which has a dedicated, cozy guest room that is always open to friends and family. Despite the fun of a new house, shortly after moving in May, our kitchen flooded. After seven months, our kitchen is FINALLY put back together. It's been wild cooking meals in our makeshift garage kitchen, washing dishes in the bathroom sink, and stepping gingerly on sub-floor for months. We finally have a lovely new kitchen! We'd love to see you and cook you a meal should you land in Boise! Wishing you health, happiness, and love in 2020!

In peace love, and joy,
Ian, Hailey, Malia and Maya


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your Christmas letter! I visit Hails Kitchen often! I have my favs! Cauliflower soup brings me here often, salmon dinner, and Matt loves your chip dip! Love you guys!!