Monday, March 1, 2010

Case of the Mondays

It's Monday. It's grey. I have a phone conference with the testy woman who funds the agency I work for, and one could attest that I have a case of the MONDAYS. I would love to beat up a fax machine. Maybe later.

I do have something VERY exciting to share with you all . . . I, Hailey, inept baker of all things produced in an oven, successfully baked a loaf of BREAD! With yeast . . . from scratch . . . without a mixer. It is edible to boot!

I will post the photos and recipe, and I'll attempt to describe the smell to you after I beat the shit out my office's fax machine.

Until then, here's a chicken noodle soup recipe that will require you to toss your momma's recipe to the wayside. This soup is rich and hearty and full of flavor. The original recipe called for tahini, but I swapped it for lemon grass because I love me some lemon grass. I am sure the tahini would make for a yummy, sesame-flavored soup. This soup, though, could clear your sinuses when you are sick. This soup could heal a broken heart. This soup could kick your mom's soup's ass.

Please exuse me while I wash my mouth out with soap before I go to work. Hope you all woke up on the right side of the bed this morning.

See you all later for bread show-and-tell!

Lemon grass in a tube is the bee's knees.

Found these in the produce aisle?

Wear a bib -- slops a bit.
Chinese chicken noodle soup
adapted from epicurious
1 lb chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 package fresh yakisoba noodles or Chinese pan-fry noodles
1 head napa cabbage, chopped, more for garnish
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs fresh ginger, minced
3 tbs lemon grass
6 green onions, sliced, more for garnish
1/2 cup cilantro, more for garnish
bean sprouts for garnish
8 cups chicken broth
1 tbs seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp sriracha
1 tbs canola oil
s/p

marinade: (recognize the marinade? It is amazing)
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs dry sherry
2 tbs sesame oil

Combine chicken and marinade in a medium bowl. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 2 hours.

In a large stock pot, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add ginger, garlic and lemon grass, stirring frequently so as not to burn. Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add the chicken and marinade, continue continue cooking until the chicken is mostly cooked through. Add the cabbage and green onions, stir until incorporated. Pour in the broth, vinegar, sugar and sriracha. Bring soup to a boil.

Cook noodles according to their directions, about five minutes in boiling water. Drain and add to soup. Stir in the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cabbage, cilantro and bean sprouts.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love you! I'm sorry you're having a bad day. If it makes you feel any better, I find your blog bottomlessly inspirational. I can't wait to veganize this - marinate firm tofu instead of chicken, veggie broth instead of chicken. I might make it tonight, actually...

Lisa said...

So, we made our vegan version last night. It was awesome. We used fresh lemongrass, and only 4 C. veggie stock (we ran out) so we had to add 4 C. water and about a ton of soy sauce, but it ended up being DELISH! Oh, and the tofu soaked up that marinade like a champ - you're right, it's awesome.

Thanks for the recipe! Love you.

Lisa said...

Oh, and we used vermicelli noodles instead, which worked out great. You just have to make sure to not mix them in with the soup - they sour over time and you won't be able to save the leftovers. Just keep them in a separate bowl, and after you serve up the soup, add the noodles to each individual portion. Works like a charm...

hailskitchen said...

Hooray!!! I am so glad you veganized it and it was still delish! I will try the marinade on tofu now that I know you approve :) Cool, cool, coolio Lisa! LOVE YOU!