Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Latke or pancake? Potato or yam?

Hi friends. I hope this post finds you well today. I had some dental work over the weekend and haven't had much of a desire (or ability) to chew. Needless to say, food hasn't been a high priority for me the past few days.

However, I woke up with a renewed sense to eat something muy excellent and gave the following recipe a whirl. The original recipe, as most potato pancake or latke recipes do, called for oil and frying, and if I can avoid frying -- I do -- and I did!

My mom mentioned to me on the phone that she was making shortbread later in the week, which caused me to quake in fear. I LOVE me some shortbread, but as you all know, baking and I had a falling out (or perhaps we just never had a falling in?). When I mentioned I made these latkes this morning, she let out an audible shutter, as if she would never make something of the sort.

This recipe was super simple and turned out so pretty. Friends, you can make these latkes. Mom, you can make these latkes. This recipe can be in your arsenal when you need to impress . . . when you you need someone to say, Wow! Where did you get those latkes? And you can respond humbly, Oh, just whipped them up this morning.

Try these latkes for breakfast, too. It was like having breakfast potatoes and eggs. I am looking forward to trying this same recipe with different root vegetables.

I hope wherever you are the sun is shining and the temperature is above freezing. It is not where I live and I am quite sour about it. COME ON SPRING! Until next time, pray for spring :)

Is it a tater or is it a yam?

Carrot's shredded twin.

You may need to add more flour -- I did.
They were certainly more potato than pancake.

I thought the scraggly little tatters would be pretty.
Wrong: the edges just burned.
Best tuck your tatters in tightly.

See. Burned edges.

As an appetizer: Add a dollop of sour cream and VOILA!
Fancy schmancy party food!

Or as breakfast: Add an egg and VOILA!
Fancy schmancy brunch!

Sweet potato (or yam) latkes
adapted from epicurious
1 large sweet potato (or yam), peeled and shredded
1-2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup flour -- adjust if the potatoes are not holding together
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cumin

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the potatoes and remaining ingredients. Form into small patties and place on a greased baking sheet, press down to flatten. Bake for 15 minutes and carefully flip. Bake for ten more minutes and serve. (Double the recipe if you plan to serve more than 2 people).

1 comment:

O-Town Aerial Botany Chic said...

Hi there! Just came across your blog, and I love it! You take great recipe photos. Sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine, and this recipe sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it out!