Saturday, March 13, 2010

When I grow up, I want to be a noodle stocker

Anyone have a secret recipe for motivation? I need a good dose of it right now. I have another Shakespeare paper due and can't seem to muster the energy needed to sit down and write. Energy isn't even the write word. Patience? Resolve? I would much rather blather on here at HK than attempt to elucidate why Ophelia is included as a character in Hamlet. Ideas? Suggestions? Hopefully by the time I'm done here, my fingers (brain, ideally) will be warmed up and ready to write academically.

Last weekend my folks took me on field trip to an Asian market in Twin Falls, which has further fueled my addiction to this genre of food. I am questioning my English-French-German heritage, as Asian food runs through my veins. I don't crave sauerkraut like I crave ginger or lemon grass. While at this little market, I was like a kid in a candy store -- a big kid in way cool candy store. I think we spent close to $30 on noodles! Mind you, I live in a town that doesn't offer much in terms of ethnic grocery stores so I was elated at this opportunity to stock up.

My parents had been standing at the checkout aisle ready to go for several minutes while I was still wandering around gawking at preserved mustard greens. My gracious, patient parents looked at me with concern as if I was going drop out of school and get a job stocking noodles. Doesn't sound like a bad gig with my impending paper. I wonder if employees get discounts? Just kidding, mom.

The following recipe, Chinese spaghetti or zha ziang mien, is an adaptation of a couple different recipes. Both called for ground pork, which I swapped for ground turkey. My vegetarian/vegan friends, I am certain that this would be delightful with tofu, too. In fact, I want to try this recipe with those neat fake meat crumbles (LM, I need your favorite brand again!).

If anyone has tried my lettuce wraps, this recipe is very similar. This 'spaghetti' has the same sweet/savory flavors, and the addition of the garnishes make it very light and refreshing much like the lettuce wraps. I also added water chestnuts because I love the textural crunch they offer. Tell your family you're having spaghetti for dinner and make this recipe instead. I promise they will love it!

Stay tuned tomorrow for, gasp, BANANA BREAD. We'll see. My mom gave me a bread pan, and I feel obligated to use it. I promise to post the results -- good, bad or disastrous. At least there's no yeast involved.

Loud sigh. Shakespeare here I come. Hope you and yours are having a most excellent weekend.

One of the twelve varieties of noodles I have spilling out of my cupboards.

Actually found this at Fred Meyer.

This I did not find at Fred Meyer. This stuff is WONDERFUL!
If you can find it at your local Asian store -- buy it!
And buy some for me too :)

People either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em.

No sauce.

Special sauce.

This photo makes me salivate.

Chinese spaghetti
1 lb ground turkey
1 package rice noodles
thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced
1 can water chestnuts, chopped
3 tbs black bean sauce
5 tbs sweet soy sauce (or hoisen sauce if you can't find this)
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs sriracha
1 tbs dry sherry
1 tbs canola oil

carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts, cilantro for garnish

Cook noodles according to package, set aside. In a wok or large frying pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry, stirring frequently so as not to burn. Add the ground turkey and saute until nearly cooked through. Add the sherry, green onions and water chestnuts and cook for about a minute more, then add the remaining sauces. Stir well to combine and simmer until the turkey is completely cooked. Remove from the heat and serve over noodles with garnishes.

No comments: