Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We were on a break!

I am feeling a little sentimental this morning so please forgive me while I mush a bit.

It's amazing how this site has helped me to reconnect with friends. I occasionally receive sweet emails of encouragement from folks I haven't seen or heard from in years, which makes my heart swell three sizes -- just like the Grinch's -- not that I had an unreasonably meager-sized heart to begin with, no, that's just how happy I am when I receive such correspondence. HAPPY!

Grinch diatribe aside, one of my favorite friends jotted me a note reminding me of our ritualistic Thursday night dinners in college. Each week we visited a different girlfriend's house who treated us to dinner, drinks and NBC's now defunct lineup of kick-ass television: "Friends," "Will and Grace," and "ER" (there was one more show in the lineup, but it was trumped by the other three).

In retrospect, my passion for cooking and sharing food with those I love started with those women. Each time the rotation landed on my shoulders I did my damnedest to create meals that were so scrumptious we wanted to reserve some for our boyfriends, which rarely was the case, as eating (and drinking) was something for which we could have received college credit.

Now we're all grown up and living all over the country. We're busy with myriad responsibilities: husbands, babies, jobs, graduate programs, life. It's almost been TEN years since we've all been together. Amazing how people can fade out of your life yet feel as though they've never left your side.

Here's the inscription from the cookbook that the following scalloped potato recipe hails: "Merry Christmas 2001. I look forward to enjoying meals at your table for many years to come. Love you, xx Mom."

Start the tradition of sharing meals at your table; the memories and relationships are irreplaceable.

xx Hailey

Craving summer.

This is THE MOST helpful kitchen tool I own,
besides my knives.
Use your tax return and buy yourself one.
Thank me later.

I could have eaten this with a spoon.

Yukon gold.

I never knew how to chiffonade basil.
Here's a ghetto tutorial:
stack up basil.

Roll up like a cigar. I've never rolled a cigar,
but I imagine this is how.

Slice thinly. You end up with lovely, wispy basil.

Be forewarned: hot potatoes and
pesto are IMPOSSIBLE to resist.
Best have someone in the kitchen as referee.

Layering.

Cheese: Good.

After these, you will NEVER look at potatoes the same.
Sorry.

Scalloped potatoes with sun-dried tomato pesto
adapted from Back to the Table
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (mandolin would be helpful)
1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (recipe follows)
2 tbs basil, chiffonade
2 tbs Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup chicken broth, heated to a boil
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about eight minutes. Drain potatoes and place in a large bowl. Carefully toss with the pesto, coating evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper (won't need a great deal of salt because of the broth).

Layer half of the potatoes in a large baking dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese and basil. Add the remaining potatoes, cheese and basil. (I had some parmesan in my fridge and do not leave any cheese on the bench for fear of hurting feelings). Pour the heated broth evenly over the potatoes. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes covered, and then 15 minutes uncovered. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley.

Sun-dried tomato pest0
adapted from Back to the Table
2 cups sun-dried tomatoes (recipe called for tomatoes packed in oil, but I used dry for a 'healthier' version)
1/4 cup basil
1/4 cup Italian parsley
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
pepper to taste

Place all the ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade, less the oil. Gradually stream in the olive oil. Pulse until a course paste is formed. The pesto can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to one month.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hailey, I just want to let you know that your blog is spectacular! Please keep up the good work. Those Scalloped Potatoes look D-licious and I'm so glad you let me know the trick to chiffonading, if that is how you say that. Before I just spent alot of time cutting the leaves in different ways and it never really turned out right.
Hope all is well.
Nick