Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hailey's taco bus

I promise there are no diatribes about food politics in this post. All I have for you tonight (at this late hour) are a few photos of street tacos I made last week. This meal was meant to be Irish-themed, but when I realized one of my friends joining me for dinner was allergic to potatoes -- how unfortunate for her since she resides in the potato state -- I decided I needed to make some adjustments.

If my spring has been anything like your spring, we've had beautiful, sunny days in the sixties followed by hateful days of pelting snow and hail, as we did today. Needless to say, I have been hungry for meals that remind me of summer.

Case in point: street tacos. These little guys can be made with fish, shrimp, beef, pork, chicken, tofu, beans, whatever flavor tickles your fancy. I was feeding carnivores so I chose beef and chicken. These tacos are fresh and light, but the best part for me is the marinade. The lime greets your taste buds in the most sunny and refreshing way. I am really remiss that I do not have a photo of a complete taco for you, because as soon as we started loading up our tortillas with the accoutrements, I couldn't be bothered with photography.

This is perfect party food! Build a taco bar for your guests -- takes the stress off of you and gets your friends involved in the process. Plus, you can grill/prepare the meat before your guests arrive -- stick it in the oven to stay warm and slice just before you eat. No fuss!

Try these, you'll like them. A lot.

I love afternoon light.
How I wish I could cook/photograph everyday at 3:00 p.m.

Marinade includes: juice from 2 limes, 1/3 cup olive oil, 2 tbs cilantro, 2 tbs Italian parsley, zest from half of one lemon, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, 1/2 tsp cumin. Marinate meat at least 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.

Pollo y carne asada.

Someone needs to invent a scratch and sniff
computer screen application.

Toppings: minced onion, cilantro, radish, avocado, tomato, lime.
Serve on corn or flour mini-sized tortillas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yumm! I can't wait to have a taco bar party with family and friends and serve these. you are awesome Hailey!!

Jen said...

I love this, Hailey! I live on Wells Ave. in Reno, which is basically "Little Mexico". I could live off of tacos and, given the variety of taco trucks on my street, not really have to break a sweat! So fresh, and there's really nothing like the satisfaction of pulling off a good carne asada!

hailskitchen said...

Thanks, friends! Jen, there used to be a little restaurant in Rupert who made the BEST pork tacos with tons of onions and cilantro and lime. Such simple food! Richard, this really is a fun party -- it is fun to watch what people put on their tacos, too! Thanks for the feedback :)