Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cheers to an unscathed neighborhood

Yesterday was my first day back in the city in nearly three weeks.  At first I felt like country mouse struggling to fit in in city mouse's world.  Pocatello is less than a bustling metropolis, but coming from quiet, peaceful river livin', this analogy fits.

As I was leaving work last evening I noticed an enormous plume of smoke rising from the area of my new abode.  Hmmm. Is it serendipitous that just a few hours earlier I had updated my address on my renter's insurance?  I think not, as this is the view from the driveway as I pulled up to the house:

 


What did I do? Turn on the sprinklers?  Grab a hose? 
Gathered my friends, grabbed lawn chairs, beers and posted up in the driveway:




There were a few moments when the wind gusted and the flames rose when we all declared what items we would rush to save in the event that the winds turned, but fortunately for us, the fire steered clear of our little neighborhood. Computers and photos were unanimous.  I agreed to both of those and added the ruffled showered curtain Heather made me.  I love that beautific thing enough to risk my life in a burning house.




 

 Other fire gawkers posted up in the neighborhood.


 It really was like a neighborhood block party.

Stressing yourself out that your house might
burn down really works up an appetite. 

Sweet potatoes, reds and Yukon golds.
Microwave for about 5-8 minutes then bake in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes
or until soft inside.

We couldn't be bothered by a trip to the store
so we improvised with everything in the fridge.
Literally everything.


Cottage cheese and sun dried tomatoes.

Texas caviar and feta cheese.

Pepper jack cheese and tuna.

Smokey sunset.

Cheers to an unscathed neighborhood.

No comments: