Friday, July 29, 2011

Make these noodles!

Those fine readers who frequent Hail's Kitchen know that I have a fierce obsession with noodles, specifically Asian noodles in all forms and textures.  I often encourage you to try certain recipes and prod you to think out of your culinary box.  However, today I am IMPLORING you to try the following recipe.  If I could type on my knees I would and beg you to try these noodles.

Before I go into Ramen heaven, a brief diatribe.  I moved this past week.  Again.  I loathe moving.  It is as high on my dislike list as the dentist, left lane drivers and ice chompers.  Gracious friends have allowed me to move into their newly finished basement.  Once again I am a house hobbit.  The noodles were the last meal cooked in my studio. Tear. Sniff.

However, I am moving up! My new landlords/roommates have a fabulous home with a great yard, wonderful views and lovely neighbors.  I have to say that cooking for one is really a drag. In fact, it is quite depressing.  I do get to share my meals virtually with you, Internet.  But now I can share my meals in real time! I am still splitting my time between river and city living so I apologize in advance for sporadic posts. Don't fret, though.  Hail's Kitchen will still be around to feed you. 

The noodles!  When my research assistant and I visited Julia in June we ate lunch at a noodle shop called Toshi's.  I heard rave reviews from Heather about this place and was pretty tickled when I had the opportunity to taste for myself.  For a noodle fiend like myself it was as if I had just stepped through the gates of heaven.  I have been craving their noodle soup since I left and decided it was time to try my hand at a recreation.  

Considering that this dish was made three quarters of the way through moving day, I utilized a shortcut:


Don't judge. Ramen noodles are highly underrated. Especially when you lack the time, utensils and energy to boil pork bones to make your own broth.  Use Ramen noodles.  

What makes this dish so spectacular are two things: butter and garlic.  DO NOT omit either of these when you make these noodles.  I can't even articulate what these two do to the soup other than make it so so so tasty.  This meal came together in the time it took to cook the pork: 30 minutes. (I bought a teriyaki pork loin which was very convenient).  Easy. Delicious.  Budget friendly.

MAKE THESE NOODLES!   xoH

Two ears of corn nuked in the microwave for about 4 minutes then sliced off the 
cob and slivered green onions.

See the moving mess in the background?
One can bamboo shoots, rinsed bean sprouts, garlic and butter.

Boil the ramen according to the directions, add bean sprouts, corn,
bamboo shoots, green onions, cooked pork, butter and minced garlic.

These noodles will surely be a favorite.
Thanks Toshi.

2 comments:

jessikahsd said...

Yum! This looks so good.

threegirls said...

thanks for posting these noodles, they are my favorite......
Mom