Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hungry readers -- I have delivered!

Now that summer has arrived my schedule is crazier than ever.  I feel as though I am always bitching about the nuttiness that dominates my life, but my fridge is indicative of my transitory lifestyle.  The following photo is rather embarrassing:



That empty fridge is why is you have not seen any recipes as of late.  Don't fear hungry readers -- I have delivered! 

A couple of friends recently mentioned the abundance of greens in their weekly CSA share (community supported agriculture).  As a kid, we had a wealth of greens in our garden, but they were always unappealing to my kid appetite.  Now as an adult, the various greens have solidified a place in my list of favorite food items. Not only are greens like chard and kale beautiful, but they are so good for you!  I have posted a few leafy green recipes here that trick finicky eaters into eating their vegetables, this next recipe also does just that.  

This dish is sure to appeal to kid or adult taste-buds, and you could serve it with rice or pasta, creamy polenta or mashed potatoes, with a piece of grilled chicken or fish, or eat it with a big ol' spoon.  I had to lock up the leftovers before I devoured the entire pan.  Get your hands on some chard -- red, rainbow, whatever -- and make this dish.  Tastes and looks like summer!

This brand of polenta comes in all varieties;  
any will do, but the quinoa is extra delicious and nutritious. 

Any bean will do -- these were in my pantry.

BUY THIS CHEESE! I always have this on hand for easy, salty snacking.

Red chard rinsed well.

Sliced red onion and diced garlic.

Love the texture! 

Baked crispy in a 400 degree oven while the chard cooks.

What makes this dish so wonderful is the addition of orange juice and zest.
  

Looking at this photo, lunch seems so far away!

Sauteed chard with cannellini beans and orange
1 large bunch chard, washed and roughly chopped
1 red onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 orange, zested and juiced
1 can beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup broth, chicken or otherwise
2 tbs olive oil
feta cheese, crumbled
one roll polenta

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place sliced polenta on a cookie sheet and bake while you prepare the chard. Flip once.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat about 2 tbs olive oil and add the onions and garlic.  Cook until the onions are translucent and beginning to caramelize, about five minutes.  Be sure not to burn the garlic.  Add the rinsed chard.  Cook until the greens begin to wilt then add broth.  Stir to combine.  Add the orange juice and zest, as well as beans.  Saute a few more minutes until the liquid has cooked down a bit.  Season to taste with salt and pepper -- remember the feta is super salty.  

Remove the polenta when the chard is finished.  Serve with crumbled feta and enjoy!

No comments: