Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Grandma Joyce: food innovator and badass

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of spending an evening with my Grandma Joyce.  This gal just celebrated her 85th birthday and still looks and behaves likes a spring chicken.  She can largely take credit for my affection for cooking. She's pretty much a badass.  

My research assistant and I arrived at her house late in the evening, tired from driving all day, ready for a beer and True Blood.  Then she asked if we were hungry. Come to Grandma's house and not eat?  Is the sky blue?

She offered me a variety of items, but one thing caught my ear: carrot salad.  I immediately thought raw, shredded carrots, perhaps Indian spices and raisons.  Silly, Hailey.  Imagine potato salad with carrots.  I ate the whole container.

Being an Idaho girl, I am genetically inclined to love potatoes, but dare I say, I think I might enjoy carrot salad better than potato salad!  Everyone has their own favorite combination of mayo, sweet or dill relish, eggs, celery, what have you, so try swapping out white for orange.  Thank Grandma Joyce for being such a food innovator.  


The only thing that would have made this better: chopped celery.  

Nothing ever tastes as good as Grandma's.

3 comments:

Tri Cook said...

Wow, never heard of carrot salad. Looks good, might have to try make it for myself.

JayBob said...

Hi Hailey! This looks delicious! So are the carrots boiled or raw? Thanks!

hailskitchen said...

Jay!!! First, congrats on the engagement! SO happy for you two :) Second, cooked carrots. xoxoxo