Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Buckteeth, pigtails and Bountiful Baskets

This morning as I completed my normal routine -- brewing coffee while listening to NPR -- I heard a story that I had to share.  This weekend a semi-truck hauling HONEYBEES drove off the rode releasing a swarm of millions of bees in the area of Island Park spilling the entire load of honey all over highway 20.  Emergency professionals were stung repeatedly as they attempted to clean up the sticky substance.  Can you imagine?  Not a typical day for a state patrolman!  

I think what made my ears perk up just so was that I had driven that stretch a few days earlier on my way to Yellowstone.  Days off are few and far between this summer so I have a "summer bucket list," if you will, that included our nation's most famous national park.  Other items on the list include: an overnight backpacking trip, grilled pizza, sleeping in past 6:45 a.m.

If you've never visited Yellowstone, the people watching is almost as entertaining as the animal watching.  I think in the brief time we were there we heard at least six languages.  We also saw a number of folks who were candidates for a Darwin Award.  But buffalo look so fuzzy!


No regard!

Tuli was relegated to the car: eyes only.



In an attempt to inject more fruits and vegetables into my meager diet this summer, I shared a Bountiful Basket with my sweet friend Sarah.  She also splits her time between city livin' and river livin' so we thought we could capitalize on our wonky schedules and share a basket.  

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Bountiful Baskets, check them out!  My mom first informed me about this great food co-op when she kept calling with odd food questions. What would you do with a persimmon?  What is a chayote squash?  Each week she picks up an enormous basket of wonderfully fun fruit and vegetables, bread, salsa making kits, Asian packs.  

The one caveat, you have no clue what your basket will include.  This week Sarah and I split broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, plums, apricots, bananas, wheat bread, figs and spinach.  Sadly, my figs were moldy and my spinach had also expired.  

Being that I only have a few nights in my kitchen, I needed to get after my bounty.  I intended to salvage the spinach for this pasta to no avail, so I picked up some arugula.  If you never tried this peppery green, you must!  It is fabulous raw in a salad, on sandwiches, scrambled into eggs, or folded into pasta which is what I did.  The following pasta is super fast and wonderfully satisfying.  

Sliced mushrooms.

Familiar items: onions and garlic.

Fresh thyme.

Try it. You'll like. 


Creamy goodness.

Toss the pasta and the raw arugula together with the sauce.  
Be sure to save about a cup of the pasta water to aid in a creamy, smooth sauce.

I had a difficult time resisting the entire pan.

I also used up my tomatoes.  My grandmother made these when I was kid.  
Slice the tomatoes in half, season liberally with garlic salt and pepper, 
cover with sharp cheddar and bake until bubbly.
When I took a bite I was transported back to the days of pigtails and buckteeth.


Whole wheat pasta with mushrooms and arugula
1 box whole wheat pasta, any shape you like
1 large onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package mushrooms, any you like or have, sliced
1 clamshell arugula
2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
1 pint half and half
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Cook pasta according to package.  Be sure to reserve one cup of the pasta water.  Meanwhile, heat oil and butter over medium high heat in a large saute pan.  Cook the onions and garlic until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden.  Season to taste with salt and pepper  Add the wine and cook until reduced.  Add the half and half and handful of grated parmesan and reduce until thickened.  Season liberally with pepper.  

Toss in the cooked pasta and fresh arugula directly into the sauce pan.  Add pasta water to loosen the sauce if needed.  Serve with more cheese and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These recipes... amazing, and may become a lunch since dinners at home are not happening right now! I hope you enjoyed your basket lovely lady!

Lusks in LOVE said...

you are so inspiring! I heard about that sticky semi accident- that would be a bee-yotch to clean:). food looks delicious!