Saturday, March 27, 2010

Thursday I wrote about tumultuous spring weather: warm one day and snowing the next. We had this exact weather yesterday. I woke up to blue skies and moderate temperatures and as the day progressed the sky grew darker, the winds picked up, and about 6:15 we had a full on SNOW STORM. Looking out of my window now, the sky is crisp blue and at least two inches of snow blanket the rooftops. It was wild. I joined some girlfriends for dinner last night, and one had dressed according to the morning's blue sky mildness in capris (aren't we all desperate for the winter/summer wardrobe change?). An invaluable lesson I'll share with you from my dad: never leave your house without a fleece.

It's the weekend and a perfect opportunity to make the following recipe. You can either make it for dessert and serve it with vanilla yogurt or ice cream, or serve it for brunch. I have done both, and both are delicious! (I found this site this morning trying to figure out how to pronounce it correctly -- great fun!) Anyway, a clafoutis is basically a custard. It's light, not overly sweet and you can add whatever fruit you enjoy. Cherries are the classic, but last time I made this I used fresh blueberries, which were equally as yummy. I love custards and I am not a huge fan of super sweet desserts or breakfasts so this is speaks to me -- loudly. Dad, this beats the heck out of the pear puffed pancake. You are going to LOVE it.

Give this clafoutis a test run this weekend, and then make it again next weekend for Easter brunch. I assure you, all of your guests will devour it. (Save yourself a slice or two so you don't miss out).

Frozen cherries -- cherry season beware!

Slightly heaping.
(very technical here at HK).

Fruit will move a bit when you pour in batter --
pour slowly.

Dust with powder sugar, granulated sugar or don't dust.
Lovely any way.

Cut into wedges and serve.

Clafoutis
3/4 cup + 2 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, slightly heaping
pinch of salt
3 eggs
6 tbs butter, melted
8 oz milk, be sure not to use skim
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (almond goes GREAT with cherries)
2 cups fruit

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease an 11 inch tart pan. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Incorporate the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. When the batter is smooth, mix in the melted butter. Then, working SLOWLY, gradually add the milk, mixing well so no lumps develop. If needed, you may strain the batter through a fine sieve. (I would recommend this, as the smooth texture is essential to the dish -- only take a second).

Scatter fruit into the prepared pan and gently pour the batter over the fruit. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown but firm on top. It may still be slightly wobbly in the center, a tester inserted in the middle should come out clean.

3 comments:

Lusks in LOVE said...

k hai... i'm a little nervous about how this is going to turn out:) For starters, i don't have a tart pan, so i used a clear glass 9x13 cake pan. then, i went to get my beater, and surprise! it doesn't work. So, i fall back on the reliable wisk- the piece of crap broke! dang chinese merchandise. so we switch to the good ol' usa KitchenAid. time to add the milk...you guessed it...expired. dang it again! hope the 1% cuts it.
hai...cross your fingers for my fragile chef-ness. 10 minutes and we will see if my improvising turns out to be fruitfully tasteful.
to be continued...

Lusks in LOVE said...

four minutes...

Lusks in LOVE said...

success! yay! thanks hails!