Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beware: soapbox ahead.

I am coming out of a timeout. I had to put myself in the corner to cool off. I watched Food Inc. on Sunday night followed by Jamie Oliver's new program on ABC called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution last evening. My viewing of these two politically-charged programs back to back was entirely accidental. In fact, I was on hulu seeking one of my favorite smut sitcoms, which will remain unnamed, and I stumbled upon an ad for Jaime's show.

Not only do I love his cooking and think he's totally dreamy, but I was completely struck by his mission: to change the eating habits of Americans in the US's most unhealthy city. I can't recall the name, as I still get a little swept up in fury.

I realized I needed a time out when I got ridiculously keyed up on the phone with my mom at the IMPORTANCE OF THESE TWO PROGRAMS and how she and my dad HAD TO WATCH THEM. Sorry, mom, for my angst over an issue I know you totally support -- I was speaking, rather, barking to the choir.

I had to give myself time to digest the rhetoric and messages that had struck me, obviously quite profoundly, before I came here to Hail's Kitchen and preached to you all -- no one likes to be preached at, especially me. So I took a scalding hot bath (my brain seems to function more clearly wrinkled), and I reflected upon why these two shows upset me to the point of screeching at my lovely mom who just called to chat. Again, I am sorry, mom. xo

Growing up in Idaho among open space and fields of sugar beets, potatoes, beans, corn and many other commodities, I am quite familiar with what rural, agricultural America looks like. As a kid, my parents valued fresh food and slaved over the garden (they continue to do both today) to give us the pleasure of picking fresh fruit and vegetables barefoot in the convenience of our backyard. Eating raspberries off the vine is still one of my most treasured childhood memories. I realize not every person can relate to this fondness, and it bums me out. There is a scene in Jaime's show where a young boy doesn't recognize a tomato; he thinks it is a potato. That made me teary.


While I try to eat as healthfully and as locally as I can, who am I to suggest how you feed your family? I can, however, suggest you watch these two fine programs (as well as seek out myriad other fantastic resources available on the topic) and educate yourself on where your food comes from, how it arrives to your grocery store and eventually settles in your tummy.

I am only a girl who writes a blog about food. I am, though, passionate (perhaps a bit too much so) about the deterioration of our nation's health, and at least I have this blog as my platform to bitch. Being a health educator who sees the devastating effects of diabetes too often, I see how one's food choices have potentially detrimental consequences. I am constantly reminded that the temporary satisfaction and convenience of many of the foods available to us are killing us.


Believe me, I love cheeseburgers (or imitation cheese in my case) as much as the next gal, but HOLY SHIT! If we don't start having this conversation on a local level -- and probably make a lot of people uncomfortable in the meantime -- this situation is going implode.

Farmer's market season is right around the corner. Please, make friends with your local farmers. I know several, and they are wonderful people who want to FEED YOU! Take your kids on a field trip to see where tomatoes or potatoes are grown so they know one is grown above ground and one is grown underneath . . . in the dirt.


Sorry for the soapbox. Actually, I am not. Please, watch Food, Inc. Educate yourself. Attend one of my chronic disease classes. Losing your feet or your vision is a humbling consequence of being a noncompliant diabetic.

food-inc.jpg



3 comments:

Emily said...

I'm watching it right now. I just saw the part where he is standing at the garbage can watching all the food that the kids are throwing away. I have never thought about what a waste that is. It reminded me of a conversation my husband and I had a while ago. He said he always felt bad for the kids who had to eat hot lunch, and I told him I always felt bad for the kids who had to eat cold lunch. We both thought the others' parents couldn't afford the good stuff. Was I ever wrong! My son is a few years away from school still, but this show already makes me want to always pack his lunch.

Wren said...

I just watched this in Monday and did a post on Food, Inc. yesterday! I don't know if I could handle Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution, though...I'll get to angry. I hate how access to healthy foods is becoming a status symbol now...It's just another way for the "haves" to utilize their power: the good ol' American dollar bill. Those "havenots," such as myself, have to make the choice between groceries from Whole Foods or paying my electric bill...It's a bummer and something systemic needs to change.

hailskitchen said...

Ladies, thank you both for your comments! This situation is entirely heartbreaking and infuriating at the same time. I suppose we are at least making a ripple by having this conversation :)