Thursday, March 11, 2010

After school snack

Often people ask if I cook meals such as yesterday's potato latkes on a daily basis -- grating vegetables and carefully garnishing my eggs with slivers of green onions. My response is, um, no. I am a grad student who actually forgets to eat fairly frequently let alone garnish the eggs she has failed to cook.

Like today for example -- I was on campus most of the day and just realized at 3:31 p.m. that the only things I consumed were several cups of coffee and an avocado sandwich. As of late I've been eating an ungodly amount of avocados. Avocados for breakfast. Avocados for lunch. Yep, avocados for dinner. Fortunately, I found them on sale for .69 a piece so they haven't broken my very humble bank.

Avocados may lose their place as the proverbial apple of my eye, as I have a new quick and easy food obsession: almond butter. Let me clarify a moment, I don't have anything against peanuts or peanut butter, I am just really, really fond of almonds and now that I can get them in BUTTER form, hell yes!

After opening the jar, I am fairly certain I consumed my caloric intake FOR THE WEEK. Holy hannah, this stuff is D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.

The only caveat, almond butter is a tad bit more expensive than peanut butter. Is it worth it? Every penny. I may have to switch back to .69 avocados if I burn through this jar as quickly as I have been.

You have been forewarned: almond butter = deliciously addictive.

I need to write to these MaraNatha people and thank them.

Celery is like eating air but crunchy.
Perfect platform for almond butter.

Celery is kind of like floss too.

It's also a lovely garnish for a bloody mary.
Mmmm, bloody mary.

2 comments:

emrit24 said...

I love, LOVE almond butter. My friend has a really nice blender and is going to try to make some. Wonder if it will be any cheaper? I just bought some (Nutty Guys brand) for $7.99. Ouch.

hailskitchen said...

I've seen those fancy blenders -- I am envious :) You'll have to let me know how the homemade-variety turns out. The blender may be a good investment considering $7.99 a jar!