Sunday, March 21, 2010

Green beers and pirates? Only at Heather and Nick's

I have to apologize for my absence. Since completing the Shakespeare paper that took me far too long to write, I have had an aversion to my computer -- actually my arse has boycotted sitting in my computer chair. But I am back! And, I have a ton of great of stuff for you.

Let's begin with St. Patrick's Day, shall we?

Heather, the hostess with the mostess, and Nick willingly offered their house for dinner. The choice wasn't too difficult when it came down to it. Their house: dining room table. My apartment: knees. Hmm, tough choice.

We started the night off with green beer. I wanted to ensure a true emerald green color so I squeezed a couple of drops (or seven) of food coloring into the frosty beer stein Heather provided for me. There was no question of the color of the beer . . . or our teeth.

Allow Heather to demonstrate:

My stunning sister before the kelly green mouthwash.

FYI: she did give consent to post the following picture.

She had no clue how awesomely green she was.

Heather's green flare!

Somehow after dinner (and several beers) the canine pirates arrived. Weird. I think they were upset they didn't get any corned beef.





I hope you have had a great week and weekend. My Spring Break starts tomorrow, but I will be in a work training for the duration . . . at a Senior Center. Beat that Cancun! Yep, my life as a grad student/AmeriCorps volunteer oozes excitement.

I do, though, have some delectable recipes coming at you soon: street tacos and cherry clafoutis. That second item is a dessert/breakfast item -- I baked successfully, AGAIN! (insert Dr. Evil laugh here).

Until next time, amigos. XOH

Idaho russets.

I loathe peeling vegetables.
Little bastard jump out of the garbage can.

Napa cabbage:
delicate, tasty and worthy of your affection.


Steam until JUST wilted.

I may never make plain ol' mashed potatoes again.
Colcannon is incredible -- the onions brighten the mash up
and the cabbage adds a fabulous texture.

The corned beef is hiding underneath its veggie friends.



Colcannon
8 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (adjust # depending on size)
1 head savoy or napa cabbage, sliced (avoid the end)
1 bunch green onions, sliced thinly
1/2 - 3/4 cup milk
3 tbs butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes until tender. Meanwhile, steam cabbage until just tender. Drain and mash the potatoes as you would regular mashed potatoes adding the milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in the steamed cabbage and green onions. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Kelly Haffey Marker said...

Hailey, So I read your posts all the time and I am so inspired to actually follow a recipe, but I still continue to open Kraft Mac and cheese and call it Gourmet. :)
This Mashed spuds made me think of my aunt. Her folks came from Ireland and she used to cook for us all the time... Tiny onions always in her mashed potatoes. They were the best. You crack me up all the time with your posts. Keep it up.... and maybe one day I will get brave and fix something. YOU are great. Love Haffey... (Maker of boxed potatoes)