Friday, January 22, 2010

Because it's the weekend

Today is Friday. Today is a great day to make the following delicious, heart-stopping appetizer for someone you love. I have come to believe that imitation cheese is the cure for anything that ails you; kind of like Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

I am moving today. I am moving out of my hobbit hole in Heather and Nick's basement. I am moving into a very small, very cute studio in a renovated historic building downtown. There are few in things in life that I hate more than moving: balloons, someone chewing ice or hard candy within earshot, left lane drivers. Moving, though, is loathsome. I think the reason it is so painful for me is that I realize how truly unorganized my life is. It is a rude awakening to the fact that I have piles of shit EVERYWHERE. Organization is something I strive for . . . in fact, it will be something I must implement into my life very quickly or my 451 sq. ft. living space will not be a place of refuge. Squalor is not invited into my new home.

You know what will be invited into my teensy little space? The following easy, incredibly fast and horrifying cheese dip. There is something wrong with a food material that does not require any refrigeration and returns to its original consistency in seconds. Please, don't let this sway you from making this dip. It's one of those things you can make occasionally. Like today. Friday. Make it for me knowing I'll be packing and unpacking and shlepping boxes for the next several days.

I buy generic.
Nice'n Cheesy sounds so much sexier than Velveta.

This little gem is super versatile.
In addition to making cheesy goodness of death,
it makes great salsa, too.

BLOCK of "cheese." I use the word cheese loosely.


Action photo :)

"Cheese" dip of goodness and cardiac arrest
1 block Velveta or other similar cheese
1 can Rotel

In a large pan, heat "cheese" over medium heat. Stir to be sure not to burn. Melt the cheese completely and pour in the can of Rotel. Don't bother draining. Stir well to incorporate. Serve in a microwave bowl, as you will find yourself reheating and reheating and reheating. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Lizzette said...

HA!! That stuff is great! Can't tell you how excited I am for Lava tomorrow!! See you soon!