Friday, January 15, 2010

Breasts or thighs?

The new semester has commenced. I am an official graduate student! One week under my belt and I'm feeling pretty good; a tad bit overwhelmed considering that I have two books to read by Tuesday and Wednesday, but that is the life I have chosen. The coming weeks will be full of exciting new adventures for your humble host: I move into a new apartment! and I start teaching my first set of health education classes. Heather and Nick will be losing their house elf, however, we have decided on a meal exchange/dinner sharing plan that will allow me to continue to infiltrate their happy home :)

This week we gave the theory a dry run. We each chose a meal, shopped for the groceries and prepared it. It took a ton of the stress off of coming up with menu ideas for the entire week with our busy schedules. Nonetheless, we had chicken and pineapple fajitas, steak salad, the following chicken thighs and manicotti for dinners this week. All delicious, all relatively healthy and stress-free!

Santa brought me this new pan for Christmas. Isn't it pretty? It's not one of the uber expensive les creuset pans -- it's Martha Stewart, which allowed Santa to buy me a big one and a little one. Santa is so crafty. I have run out of wonderful words about this pan. I LOVE it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Thank you, Santa. You should go to Macy's and use any remaining Christmas money to buy one for yourself. It will make you so happy. It will also make the yummiest chicken thighs on the planet.


On most days I am a breast kind of gal. Today, though, I have a dish for you that uses thighs, which are sweet, succulent and require far less pennies than their fair-colored counterparts. This dish is another great one to add to your weekend rotations since it requires some stove/oven time. I like meals like this because it takes minimal effort, but has TONS of flavor. I served this over creamy parmesan polenta. You can find the recipe here. Pop these thighs in the oven, sit back on the couch with a book or a movie and revel in the smells that will waft from your kitchen. You'll wonder why you haven't given chicken thighs a chance before.

The equivalent weight in breasts
was over $7.00 at my fine Winco.

Skin on. Not my normal bag,
but oh so tasty. Just do it.

Joe Blow. Can't get any classier.

Shallots and garlic enjoying their wine bath.

I usually use artichoke bottoms,
which don't have the angry artichoke pokies,
but alas, I couldn't find them.
These guys worked fine. Heather only choked once.
(They really don't have angry pokies -- I just prefer the others).


We devoured this entire pot.
No leftovers = sad Hailey.

Chicken thighs with artichoke hearts, mushrooms and peas
adapted from Epicurious
4 large chicken thighs, 1.5-2 lbs
2 large shallots, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
handful mushrooms, quartered
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
1 cup frozen peas
1 can chicken broth
1/2 dry white wine
1/2 cup flour
1 tbs olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, whole
1 tbs Italian parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In an oven-safe pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Dredge the chicken thighs in 1 tsp salt and 1/2 pepper and the flour, shaking off the excess. Place thighs in the hot oil, skin side down. Resist the urge to touch and flip -- allow them to sear! Cook until golden in color then flip, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan. Chicken will not be cooked through.

Add the shallots and garlic to the pan. Cook for about a minute. Add the wine to the pan and scrape up the bits on the bottom. Simmer for another minute or so. Return the chicken to the pan. Place the mushrooms and artichoke hearts on top. Pour the broth over and season with the remaining salt and pepper, as well as the thyme sprigs. Cover and bake for about 45 minutes - 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Right before service, add the peas and the parsley. Allow to heat through and serve. This would be great served with mashed potatoes, too. Enjoy!

No comments: