Sunday, February 7, 2010

Those who can't bake, buy baked goods

Yesterday I attended a four-year-old's birthday party. I love this little person. He is charming and handsome and will grow up to be quite the man. Nonetheless, I volunteered to make cupcakes. I don't bake. I don't measure. My oven is used for roasting -- not baking cakes. As I mentioned, I really like this little guy and wanted to make him something special for his special day. His favorite colors happen to be pink and purple, which I think is rad.

For inspiration I headed to Bakarella's site. Bakarella is a baking goddess, hence the clever name. My site's namesake is a spinoff of Hell. Hmm, go figure.

Anyway . . . I tried to make her cake balls. You can find the recipe here. I tried to take step-by-step photos and then my hands became so covered in goo that my camera cowered in fear. This recipe has been added to my growing list of epic failures. The key, I discovered the hard way, is FREEZING the balls before you dip them. I will admit to making this recipe in haste, but why can't I squeeze in a bath, 150 pages of reading, my TA application, a few loads of laundry, and these cake balls before three o'clock on a Saturday? Unless you have a clone, it can't be done. I tried and FAILED. Epically.

However, I did return home after the party to find the frozen balls (that I nearly threw away in the midst of my temper tantrum) ready for their hot candy dip. I took a deep breath and tried again. My cake balls are nowhere near as cute or as uniform as Bakarella's, but they'll do. Next year, I know to start my cake balls the night before the birthday party.

This candy melt comes in all colors of the rainbow.
Michael's or Joanne's carries it.


The rainbow chip wasn't so colorful after the mash up.

Styrofoam is key. As well as your freezer.
As well as PATIENCE.

Ugh.

After their deep freeze.


If I can do it, you can do it.

No comments: