Wednesday, February 3, 2010

In with fresh air, out with frustration

Hail's Kitchen has evolved enormously in the year and half of its existence as a humble google domain. Not that this site has transformed into any great shakes -- not at all what I am suggesting. The site sprouted from this idea . . . this fun thing I wanted to do. Then I did it. Then once I did it, it became a chore so I stopped. Then I realized how much I enjoyed cooking and especially writing.

Now this silly little blogspot domain named Hail's Kitchen has become a vessel for my thoughts, my creative energies and maybe, just maybe, my future aspirations.

My point is, after a HELLACIOUS afternoon like I had today, all I want to do is come home, pour a glass of wine, upload some photos and engage my fingers and my brain in a little food blogage. A year and half ago that certainly would not have been the case. Cook and eat, definitely. Cook, eat and write, Hell no. It would have taken at least two glasses of wine.

The Cuban braised beef and peppers was delicious and highly aromatic. The rich, peppery smell of this dish greeted me when I walked in the first floor of my building. I live on the THIRD floor! I am always a little leery of cooking beef, or any protein for that matter, in a crock-pot for fear that it will come out resembling a hockey puck. This beef was so tender you could pull it apart with a spoon. This dish required no other pans, pots or utensils, less a knife and cutting board and the crock-pot.

Attention busy people who read this site: this dish was made for you!!! Served over rice with black beans on the side, garnished with sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, sliced avocado and tortillas = party in your mouth! This dish is super easy and fast and looks beautiful on a plate.

Heather, Nick and Berkley joined me for this feast. I wish they could join me for dinner every night. NPR just isn't the same dinner company.

High five!
(must be said with a Borat-inspired accent)

Berkley loves her some string cheese.

Notice my nice natural light? How I love you new apartment.



Easy peasey, Japanesey.

4, 6, 8 and 10 hour settings.
Thank you Crock-Pot.

The smell of peppers are permeating the computer screen.

Love her.

Cuban braised beef with peppers
adapted from Cooking Light
1.5 pounds flank steak or other "crock-pot" type beef
2 bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 large onion, cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Arrange the beef on the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the spices on top. Arrange the vegetables around the beef. Pour in the tomatoes. Stir to combine. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Does she have an orange slice in her mouth!?