Monday, February 15, 2010

Cruciferous

If you've been reading lately, you know I've been on kick to eat more healthfully. There was a stint where my diet consisted of nothing but imitation cheese and beer, which certainly holds a dear place in my heart just not my waistline.

Now that I have my own place it's a little easier to control exactly what I eat. Not that Heather and Nick ate/eat poorly by any stretch; they just have things in their pantry that no amount of self control could ever restrain me from.

Case in point: Harper's Bread.

It is bread made from clouds . . . in Heaven . . . by angels -- light, fluffy, soft. It has no place in my house or I will soon become fluffy and soft.

After loading up with fruits and vegetables of all colors of the rainbow, creativity has been required to avoid boredom. I love to eat salads, but meal after meal they become nothing more than, well, cruciferous.

The following meal was an attempt to use every vegetable in the fridge -- successful attempt! My salad was both beautiful and delicious: tomatoes, sprouts, snap peas, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, green onions. The roasted sweet potatoes were, however, the star of the meal. The citrus and cumin complimented the sweet flesh of the potato so subtly. One word of caution, I reheated them the next day (they reappear in my next post) in the microwave and the cumin gave off a smell like they were on fire. They were not . . . but just don't be alarmed if you reheat these little disks of yumminess and smell burning.




Roasted sweet potatoes with cumin and lime
1 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch disks
1 lime, reserving a slice
1/4 cup red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs cilantro
1 t/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt and black pepper
1 tbs olive oil
*double this if you plan to serve more than two people*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine the onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper, olive oil and the juice of the lime (if the lime is puny use two). Toss the potato slices in the vinaigrette. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for about 20-25 minutes, flip them over midway. Squeeze the reserved lime over the hot potatoes and serve. You could also garnish with more chopped cilantro.

No comments: