Thursday, May 13, 2010

Happy Mother's Day, love Hailey, May 1989

I have neglected my duties here at HK. I think my rump has developed an aversion to this chair. Chair = homework = sad Hailey. Ironically, just when I was dancing happy jigs rather than walking to all of my destinations I received a disconcerting email from a professor notifying me of a lost paper . . . a lost SHAKESPEARE paper. You all are going to think I am a complete nitwit when hear the following story, which I am embarrassed to even admit.

Because I was working on two projects at the same time -- one of which engulfed my house -- I wrote the Shakespeare paper in the computer lab at school. I have a mac, the labs do not. This computer issue makes for tricky saving. Each night I wearily saved and emailed a copy to my home computer. My final draft somehow managed to escape this process. I remember thinking to myself when opened a blank email, oh it's okay because I have my hard copy. If I ever need to see this paper again, I'll have a HARD COPY. No such luck, friends. My paper is gone. Evaporated. Fortunately I do have nine pages saved, but now I have to recreate that hellacious paper. Tear. Sniffle. Sigh.

My grades for my first semester of grad school read: A and I. I don't like Is.

Enough of my sob story.

As you all know, Mother's Day was last Sunday. I had a fabulous day with my mom. We unearthed this relic on a shelf at the farm:


Sweet, huh. 1989 was a while ago. I am sure I rocked a side ponytail and had tight rolled jeans on when I made it. I was well impressed that darling little piece of art was still intact.

I woke up early and managed to make my mom breakfast in bed. Pretty fun to treat someone to a delicious meal not only in their jammies but in their bed, too. I made salmon hash with sweet potatoes and hollandaise sauce:


Couldn't find the cutting boards and didn't want to wake my mom up to ask for her assistance.
Paper plates are a lame excuse for a cutting board.

Chives in the garden. Nice photo, Dad :)

Sweet onion, red pepper and leeks.

Baked salmon.



Lovely and delicious.

After breakfast we headed out to the farm.
We call it our farm because we are city folk.
We always had a garden growing up but you could place about twelve of our old gardens in our new garden.

The agenda for the day was to burn the slash pile that is behind that little shed in the photo above and weed the garlic bed in the photo below.

Holy hell. Those weeds went on and on and on. Farming is hard work. I got to run the chainsaw though, which was exciting. I managed to walk away relatively unscathed.


I like farming. Farming is fun. Shakespeare is not.

Early Italian.

We have about six different types of garlic. Soon their scapes will be ready to eat, and I'll post some recipes. Garlic scapes taste like garlicky green beans, and they are wonderful!

The judge was happy with our progress.

My mom was a trooper to work so hard on her day.

Bell acts as quality control.
Too bad she doesn't have opposable thumbs because she would have a shovel, too.

Sweet potato salmon hash
adapted from epicurious
2 salmon filets, about 12 oz in total
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
3 leeks, white and light green parts sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
handful chives, sliced
1 tbs olive oil
eggs
hollandaise sauce packet (too early to make my own from scratch)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a pot of salted water to boil and cook potatoes until just tender -- about ten minutes. Remove, drain and set aside. Season salmon with salt and pepper. Place salmon between two sheets of foil and fold up the edges. Bake salmon in the oven for about 12 minutes or until flakey. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and saute until tender then add the leeks. Cook together for about 2 minutes or until the leeks are tender. Add the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.

About five minutes before service cook the hollandaise sauce according to the packet, as well as the eggs. Cook the eggs according to your taste. Add chunks of cooked salmon to the sweet potato mixture. Don't break the salmon up too small -- about 1 inch pieces. Stir well to combine the salmon and the vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the sliced chives.

Place the salmon mixture on the plate and drizzle a bit of hollandaise on top followed by an egg. Serve immediately.

No comments: