Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Everything in moderation

Brief story time: my meat consumption has gone drastically down since my vow to purchase locally-sourced meat (still clicking along, by the way). Notice all the vegetarian recipes as of late? Yeah, local meat is expensive for this gal.

I'm deviating from story hour: I worked the farm last Friday. I worked hard. Lester worked hard. I was HUNGRY when I returned to my parents' house late in the day. The Judge suggested we eat out in Hazelton where the words vegetarian option are not part of the vernacular. As I mentioned, I was hungry, ravenous maybe. The Judge ordered a 16 0z ribeye that made my salivary glands quake. I ordered my own 16 0z ribeye. I ate my own 16 oz ribeye. I ATE MY OWN 16 0z RIBEYE.

Friends, without revealing too much information, my gastrointestinal tract has not been the same. I have been punished for my gluttony. Everything in moderation, Hailey. Why is this lesson so hard for us (me) to grasp?

I just started a new book today: Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals. I've had many friends impressed and influenced by this book -- we'll see how it further affects my meat consumption.

But did I mention how good that 16 oz ribeye tasted? Sweet Jesus. Moderation. Moderation. Moderation.

Normally I have about thirty-seven photos of vegetables in various stages of mutilation,
but today you merely get the finished product.

These are my new favorite chips:
Jalapeno from Food Should Taste Good.
Gluten free and colored with beet juice. Groovy.
Taste damn good, too.


Taco salad
(it's healthy and potentially vegetarian, too. I won't tell if you won't tell)
1 lb ground meat -- lean beef, turkey or fake meat
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow summer squash, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can green chiles, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, including juice
1 heaping tbs chili powder
1 tbs garlic salt
1/2 chili flakes (more for spicier)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Garnishes: sour cream/plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, avocado, green onions, feta cheese, tomatoes, salsa, tortilla chips.

In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until translucent, about two minutes. Add zucchini and squash and cook until tender, about three minutes. Add meat and cook until cooked through. Add spices, green chiles and tomatoes. Cook for about five minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve taco meat on the chopped lettuce followed by the toppings. Serve immediately.

No comments: