Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lack of foresight

I realize with recipes like the one you'll see below that I am a day late and several dollars short. I should have posted this on Friday so you could have made this for the weekend. Foresight, Hailey, foresight. I suppose, though, if you're like me you enjoy eating breakfast for dinner so you can make this for dinner sometime.

Anyhoo, here's a delightful and healthy huevos rancheros recipe that takes no time to throw together. It is colorful and tasty, and you can add whatever veggies you like or have on hand. I am counting down the days when we can pick fresh veggies on the farm. Until then, all I seem to be picking are weeds. I'll post more on Friday's weed adventure tomorrow. I'll also introduce you to a new friend. My new friend Lester -- Lester the weed molester.

I hope you've had a great weekend. I am cleaning out my fridge, my closet, my car, my purse. It's cathartic to get rid of clutter. Hopefully by clearing out the minutia I will make room for more good things. Less Shakespeare. Less weeds. More sunshine. Yes, more sunshine.





Huevos rancheros
1 zucchini, cubed
1 onion, diced
1 pepper, diced
2 green onions, sliced
cilantro, chopped
1 can green chiles, diced
1 can black beans (low sodium if you can)
1 can enchilada sauce -- green or red -- whatever you fancy
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
salt to taste
1 tbs olive oil
tortillas
sour cream
eggs
grated cheese

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and zucchini. Season with half of the spices. Saute about five minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside. Add the beans and chiles to the same pan. Season with the remaining spices. Cook until warm, about three minutes.

Cook the eggs however you like -- I am a fan of over-easy -- whatever suits you. Place a tortilla on the plate followed by some beans, then the vegetable mixture and a big dollop of sour cream and several tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Then place an egg on top with some grated cheese. You can stick the plate under the broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese, but be careful because the heat will cook your egg! Serve immediately and enjoy.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Yum. This looks great! I LOVE huevos rancheros and really like how you added some healthy veggies.