Monday, May 17, 2010

I love you Lester.

Because I don't want to offend anyone and get spanked by a reader, I am offering a word of caution. If art mirrors life and this website is a reflection of my life (in part, at least), the following anecdote is indicative of who I am in life: often inappropriate. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's the internet, and some people have lost their funny bone.

That said, I want you to meet a new of friend of mine. This new friend has revolutionized my life on the farm. This new friend has made my muscles less sore, my back less achy, and my hours of pulling weeds less arduous.

Meet Lester, Lester the weed molester.


Lester is resting on a wagon wheel adorned with the name Owyhee Nugget. The Owyhee Nugget was a weekly newspaper my parents owned and operated when I was baby, but that's a story for another time.

Back to my new friend. Lester does this to weeds:

The roots are ripped right out the ground. While Lester doesn't run without human exertion, Lester sure saves time and effort. I pulled about five piles just like the one below.

Someday the farm will be weed-free (relatively speaking), and I'll be able to spend more time planting and less time plucking. While I was busy weeding, Belle was busy chewing on sticks:


Look at how dexterous she is.
If only she had opposable thumbs . . . the weeds wouldn't stand a chance.

I can hear my mom's reaction to the following recipe, that's weird, she'll say. Hell no! The following dish is the epitome of comfort food. Eggs on toasts are jazzed up with a spicy tomato sauce. Who would have thought -- poaching eggs in tomato sauce? Genius, I say. Delicious genious.

Garlic and red chili flakes.

Crushed tomatoes would work too.

Toasted bread rubbed with a clove of garlic.

I am not going to lie, I was more than a little scared to
crack eggs in perfectly good tomato sauce.

They bubbled up and did their thing.
It was kind of strange.

Those eggs were tasty, tasty.

Eggs poached in tomato sauce
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Because I am lazy and I want to give her fabulous site love, please visit Smitten Kitchen for this super fast, super delicious recipe. xoH

*I added lemon zest to the sauce because I love me some lemon zest in my tomato sauce. Other that, the recipe was made as posted*

No comments: