Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer time and the livin's easy

I watched Julie and Julia the other night -- the movie about the blogger who cooks her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. While I enjoyed the movie, I loved the book. Such is the case with most crossovers, but the movie is charming and witty and made me crave the following recipe.

There is a scene where Julie and her husband are chowing down on dinner and she comes to the realization that she has thoughts . . . she can write . . . she could write a blog. It's funny. What I love about this scene, specifically, is what they are having for dinner. It is such a Hailey dinner -- bruschetta and wine. I eat meals like that most nights; however, mine look more like this: wine with bruschetta and a side of popcorn with string cheese for dessert. Classy.

I had to have bruschetta in order to get the craving out of my mind. Craving satiated . . . for now. As soon as tomatoes ripen I'll be eating this dinner at least every other day.

Take this bruschetta to your next party -- your friends will want to make out with you it's so good. You've been forewarned.

I like seedy bread just the opposite of how I like my boyfriends: not seedy. Any baguette, sourdough, focaccia or crusty bread will do.

This was my dinner so I used a larger loaf -- for appetizer portions, choose a smaller bread.

What sets my bruschetta apart: I broil the bread for about a minute or two on each side (watch it as it burns quickly). Once it's toasty, I take a garlic clove and rub it all over the bread. THEN I brush the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Don't forget the salt or your bruschetta will just be bruschetta. With the salt, your friends will want to suck face.

Quarter a container of cherry tomatoes. Soon, friends, these will be in season and then EUPHORIA!

My happy basil plant. I really enjoy the flavor of basil so I added about 15 leaves, which I chiffonaded (not sure if that is a verb?).

My favorite duo: olive oil and balsamic vinegar. About 3 tbs of olive oil and 1 tbs of vinegar to the diced tomatoes, the basil, I added about a tbs of minced shallot and salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon over the crusty bread and pucker up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the difference between bruschetta and croustini? Is one always con tomato while the other is used to dip in a voluptuous concocted blend of what-have-you's? I'm v. Curious! Also, can you use cooked tomato (for non-veggieeaterme)?